Coming to Wichita

Postings about organizing, and reporting on, informal gatherings of UCAP listeners.
Punky

Coming to Wichita

Postby Punky » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:38 am

I'm coming into Wichita (ICT) Jan 27/28 for work.
I thought I might mix some pleasure with business if there are any meetups scheduled around that time. ;-)

Dave

Dave Higdon

Re: Coming to Wichita

Postby Dave Higdon » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Barring any unforeseen travel demands -- right now that week's supposed to be here in ICT -- I'm game...those days are Wednesday/Thursday...if you're around for Friday evening, that might be easier and get a few more, might not...

Any others care to indulge in a start-the-year-off-right UCAP Meet-UP? Think going back to the Hangar One Steakhouse's Tower Bar would be the hot set-up...

Chime in, folks...

Merry, Happy, Ho-Ho!

Dave

Punky

Postby Punky » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:37 am

I'm having diner with some aviation clients the first night (27th) in but I'd love to catch up for drinks later in the evening. If that doesn't work, the following afternoon for a late lunch is cool too (my fight out is at 4pm).

Alas - I'm flying airlines (I feel so dirty) and I'll be long gone by Friday.

joemurffy

Postby joemurffy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:45 am

Dave & Dave,

I might actually be game for a flight from the Omaha area down to Wichita on the 27th, work permitting. Dave (Punky), we haven't talked much since you were working on your first iteration of a flight-planning software as a student pilot, and it was just after I had been to Toronto, but I would love to catch up and hear more about your programming and photography. And Dave Higdon, it would be a pleasure to meet you after having been a listener since the No-Name Aviation Podcast started.

If it works out I would fly down that day and possibly stay the night. I might poll for some suggestions on a place close to the airport to sleep. I suppose that I could just bring my cold-weather sleeping bag and crash in the Six - I've done that before. Instead of eating at the Steakhouse, would the two (or more) of you be interested in jumping in the Six for a quick trip to Ponca City and some mexican food? AOPA's Airport Directory mentions some just next door to the airport there.

Talk it up!
Joe Murphy - KPMV

N4706E / N115CC "Circus, Circus"
'51 Aeronca Champ 7CCM / '79 Bellanca Super Viking
'Once you fly fabric, you won't settle for metal.'

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:50 pm

If it's just drinks on the 27th, and that opens up the window for others, that's cool...

And FWIW, the 28th works as easily for me as the 27th...so no wrong answer on my end...

The more the merrier, Joe!

Dave
ps -- given the Wx we're having here, my Bride Annie's endurance-testing three-day ordeal to get to D.C. from Wichita (started Saturday Dec. 19, arriving Monday, Dec. 21 :o ) it's worth mentioning that January can be tough on GA Planes flying here in the Great Plains...
dh

Punky

Postby Punky » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:13 pm

Hey Guys.

I must confess - I'm pretty pumped about an impromptu meeting. I'm meeting some Textron folks for diner that night but afterwards I'll be looking for something to do. I'll grab a cab and make my way to wherever people are meeting.

I wish I was flying myself to Kansas, but alas - the airlines... although by recent accounts I might have better luck with my schedule if I fly myself rather than rely on the airlines ;-)

joemurffy

Postby joemurffy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:05 pm

Punky wrote:I'm meeting some Textron folks for diner that night but afterwards I'll be looking for something to do.

As long as you're meeting with "those" folks, ask them if they would be willing to do an overhaul or remanufactured on my IO-540, gratis. In return I'd be happy to put one of their stickers on the plane, within reason, of course.
Joe Murphy - KPMV

Punky

Postby Punky » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:13 pm

;-)
I wish I had that pull ;-)

Meeting has been pushed up to the 20th and 21st though. If that's still viable for a UCAP Meetup - I'm in.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:01 pm

Well, I'm still hovering in something of a scheduling limbo for the last half of January...could be here this week, and will be, far as I know...but that coincides with Sebring, which I'm hoping to get to should another assignment not conflict...and if that assignment conflicts, well, Sebring goes by the boards...

So, until I know more...more when I know more...

Dave

joemurffy

Postby joemurffy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:32 pm

I am still interested, but I just tore the plane down this morning as the first step of my owner-assisted annual. It would normally be done in time, but I'm ordering a few new pieces of plastic to go on it that might keep it from flying all next week. I'll keep you informed. PM me your number if you don't mind and I'll do the same.

R/Joe
Joe Murphy - KPMV

Return to “Meetups”