Mobile, AL meetup 1/24/2010

Postings about organizing, and reporting on, informal gatherings of UCAP listeners.
PilotBillFromTexas

Mobile, AL meetup 1/24/2010

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:59 pm

PilotTony and I are planning on meeting Sunday 1/24/2010 in Mobile, Alabama.

Anyone else interested?

pilottony

Re: Mobile, AL meetup 1/24/2010

Postby pilottony » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:53 pm

I have talked to Pilotbill today and after he gets to Mobile, and settled in, he is going to meet me at my hanger. the weather doesnt look good for sunday but we wont let that bring us down! if we cant get to fly, we will do an airport tour via my golf cart and maybe do a little work an my latest project, my Rans S9. i hope to get Bill a ride in a Christen Eagle or maybe a T6. we may have to do this a little later in the week, but regardless of the weather, we will have a cookout and a beer and wish you all were here! ( Hey Dave that almost rhymed )

safe flying Tony

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:51 pm

Well, the weather didn't cooperate one bit just as we expected. I was actually glad that I was flying the airlines this morning. On approach I'm guessing that we broke out of the layer at about 600 feet. It was pretty low. Roy E Ray field is a turf strip and was soaked. So, flying was out of the question.

But, weather didn't stop us from having a great day. Met some great aviation folks, saw some really nice airplanes and had a really nice time overall. Tony took me around on his golf cart and we went hangar to hangar. We ended it all with a cookout at a neighbor's house. We got accused of being out on an internet date. Podcast-forum-harmony.com maybe??

We might hook up again this week, too.

Thanks to Tony and his wife Sam for being such nice hosts. I might fly my airplane here in May for the big fly-in, too.

pilottony

Postby pilottony » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:21 pm

Yea Bill and I had a good time, and my pilot buddies picked on us and my wife said im not a nurd but im a geek! you gotta love that!! Bill and i shared other podcast that we like and i wish you all would have been there, especially Dave, jack,and birdstrikes left hand !!(Jeb knows who I meen). looks like later in the week, my club members and I are going to meetup at another closeby airport and maybe Bill will get to go for a ride, or at least get to see some more cool planes. one of the club members has an L29 CHECK. trainer and a RUSSIAN MIG 17 project.

safe flying Tony

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:19 am

My face muscles hurt from grinning so hard. I got my first ride in a Vans RV-8 today, thanks again to Tony and his friend Tom. FUN is all I have to say!

The weather finally dried up here in coastal Alabama. This evening was absolutely beautiful. Temps were probably around 70 degrees and the sky was perfectly clear.

You definitely feel like you are wearing an RV-8 rather than actually getting into it. You feel like you are putting it on like the way you would slip on a pair of snug jeans. Not uncomfortable but, you're in there.

It pulled away from the runway quickly after Tom added power like the proverbial homesick angel. It just seemed to levitate straight up. I saw 500' on the altimeter as we crossed the end of the runway which was probably close to sea level. Tom said that it would climb that way for a long while.

Tom let me fly it for a while. I thought that a control stick might take a little getting used to but it really didn't. It is extremely intuitive and the control force necessary is just a little pressure on your finger tips. It is almost like telemetry. Think left and all of a sudden you are turning left.

Anyway, I'm going to go suck a lemon or something to wipe this sh**-eating grin off of my face.

pilottony

Postby pilottony » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:09 pm

I wish you could have seen Bills face! He really enjoyed the flight in the RV8. I think he really loved seeing the world from an inverted view!! After his ride I flew my Kolb FirestarII and he took some cool pics, I also think this could be the longest meetup in UCAP history. I hope he and i can meetup at sun-n-fun with the rest of the podasphere, and my wife and I will be there.

safe flying Tony

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:07 am

Dude, I wasn't kidding about my face muscles hurting! What a hoot!

Return to “Meetups”