First Mediterranean UCAP meetup

Postings about organizing, and reporting on, informal gatherings of UCAP listeners.
lucaberta

First Mediterranean UCAP meetup

Postby lucaberta » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:39 pm

Just a quick note and a picture from Menorca, Spain, where I finally had the pleasure of meeting Damià in person for the very first time, after a couple of years of knowing him from this forum.

The thing in the background is Damià's office in Menorca airport LEMH :D

He was also given the chance of flying with my friend on his 1957 Mooney M20, and took a lot of pictures, also because he had never landed in his "own" airport before. He normally flies out of the extremely close airport of San Luis LESL.

GPS track and pictures, and more stories of a very nice and events-packed day some other time. Going to bed now.

Meanwhile, many many thanks to Damià for all he's done for us! :)

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

Damia

Re: First Mediterranean UCAP meetup

Postby Damia » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:34 am

What a blast to be the host of a UCAP meetup. A pitty that we didn't plan it with some more time, so that someone else could have joined us. Luca flew over a bit of water to get here, so why wouldn't others fly over a bit more? ;)

I should mention that I also met the lovely Anthinula, another well known character of this forum.

Looking forward to meet you again this evening.
Attachments
P1060075.JPG
P1060075.JPG (40.85 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
Damià - LEMH

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Very nice. Glad we could play a (very small) part in facilitating your get-together.

-- Jack

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:47 pm

Damn, that's cool! For all the talk about what a pain in the butt flying in Europe is, things like this still make it worth while for those who can do it.

I've just added something to my "bucket list." Spend some time flying GA around the Mediterranean countries.

Damia and Luca -- Do you have any tips for pilots flying around to your airport, mainland Spain and the other nearby European countires? Is it practical to fly to Africa? How cool would that be to fly to Tanger and Casablanca?

Damia

Postby Damia » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:43 pm

PilotBillFromTexas wrote:Damia and Luca -- Do you have any tips for pilots flying around to your airport, mainland Spain and the other nearby European countires? Is it practical to fly to Africa? How cool would that be to fly to Tanger and Casablanca?

Hi Bill, sorry to have taken so long to reply. I hadn't come back to this topic before.

Tips for flying in Europe... this is such an extensive topic that I really don't know where to start from. The first thing that occurs to me is that in order to fly a European registered aircraft you need a European license, and that is not easy to get. So you need to find a N-registered airplane (shouldn't be too difficult).

Then if you would say something more about your idea of a trip, I could comment on that and help your plan take shape. It would be amazing if you would get to do this and we could meet over here.

About Morocco, I've heard it is a good place to fly. They have little traffic and little restrictions. You basically have the sky to yourself. I have been there a few times, before I was a pilot, and it is a beautiful country. Quite green in the Noth and West, with rich agriculture and good food, then you have big mountains at the Atlas, and a spectacular desert at the other side. Very interesting culture too, hospitable people and very safe. The only problem you may encounter is policemen or civil servants trying to extract tips from you, something upsetting when you are not used to it, but not so difficult to negotiate.

Well, let me know if your plan gets any more specific, and I will be glad to help you. I hope we could organise a Trans-Atlantic meet-up.
Damià - LEMH

Return to “Meetups”