Oshkosh 2015

Postings about organizing, and reporting on, informal gatherings of UCAP listeners.
Scofreyjet

Oshkosh 2015

Postby Scofreyjet » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:24 am

Hi All,

I'll be at AirVenture again this year, but due to a family commitment will be arriving and leaving earlier than usual. The good news is, for the first time I'll be present for the mass arrivals that occur over the pre-show weekend, and I've got a new camera to break in.

The bad news is that I'll be leaving after the Wednesday night airshow, so I'll miss the UCAP Tie-Down Party on Thursday (massive bummer!) and the Sunday UCAP Wrap-up Show on EAA Radio.

Hope to see some UCAP listeners around the field or in Scholler between Saturday and Wednesday. If you want to reach out: scofreyjet-at-gmail.com or SMS at nine-seven-eight nine-eight-seven one-one-four-two

#OSH15 !
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

lojik69

Re: Oshkosh 2015

Postby lojik69 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:48 pm

My wife and I will be up from the land down under, arriving Saturday and leaving (sadly) on Thursday. LOJIK is my hotmail username. Hoping to meet (or at least see) some of the voices in my head.
I'm planning on buying myself lots of stuff while there - I passed my check ride 18 hours before leaving Australia so now I can justify buying all the things I've been lusting over for the last 46 years. 8-)

C5Guy

Postby C5Guy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm flying my Cardinal to OSH from New Jersey again this year and camping under the wing. I'm parking in Vintage Aircraft Camping, so if you see a sleek, strutless Cessna (N30946) amoungst the Cubs, Champs, and Swifts, stop by and say hi.

Am also looking forward to the UCAP tiedown party. Its always one of the highlights of the week.

And congrats to lojik69 (see above) on passing his checkride.

Tailwinds!

champguy

Postby champguy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:19 pm

Five hours in the air gets me over the Coast Range across the Willamette Valley through the Columbia Gorge and across the Palouse with a tail wind. It got hot and yes I've had enough, but life is good at Shilo with pool hot tub and my workout will consist of looking over the exercise machines.
What you have to go through to sneek a bottle of very good Scotch into Vintage Camping.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

jimg

Postby jimg » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi, all,

Greetings from Toledo OH, overnight enroute to Oshkosh. Look for me in "Camp Bacon" -- an area within Camp Scholler where many nice media and podcast oriented people hang out. I'll also be at the tiedown party on Thursday evening. Although Jack has not "formally" announced it, unless he says something to the contrary, I would sort of expect the party to take place in the usual location: the Super 8 parking lot.

Jim G

lomcevok

Postby lomcevok » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:39 am

Camped out in Scholler - wx us gorgeous - cool [that'll change] and Breezy. Sorry to have to muss the tiedown party - have business commits in FL on Tuesday evening.

Looking forward to the mass arrivals today!

Bill "lomcevok" from Colorado
Lassiez Le Bon Temps Voler!

champguy

Postby champguy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:16 pm

Made it over the mountains in two hours flat, wicked tail wind to Cut Bank Montana again, and quit flying early while front passed over. Then rode fine NW wind all the way to Aberdeen SD. Looked back over my shoulder to see weather chasing me and grabed extra tie down ropes. Drank myself silly in the hotel, and plane was still there in the morning. The rest of the trip has been fine flying, tail winds, smooth air, over towns villages and tidy well cared for farms. Tomorrow get to see how the other half lives, Fisk Approach and down to Vintage Camping where the noise level is bearable and all the planes are pretty and well cared for. See you at the show.

champguy

Postby champguy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Sent up the tracks to do right traffic for 27 safe from 20 knot cross wind. Then mid down wind told to turn right now and land on blue dot on 18. Left some rubber on the dot but it is amazing what an Aeronca can do if told forcefully. Then they sent me up behind a cazillion Ercoups tail in to trees and ultralight red barn. Great spot considering weather coming through from the west, and much closer to all the food. Life is good.

MNpilot1994

Postby MNpilot1994 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:10 am

Hey Everyone!
I'm a Newbie to Oshkosh but I was fortunate enough for my college to send me in an airplane! We Arrived about 1300 local and the school's Red Super Decathlon is parked to the south side of the IAC Headquarters. I have to work at the airplane most of the show so if you want to learn about Collegiate Aerobatics competitions stop on bye!! My coach and I will also be wearing black flight suits. Jack, Dave, and Jeb I would love to meet you guys but unfortunately I wont be able to catch the meet up at the Super 8 gate so if you are walking by flag us down :)
AJ

JamieCT

Postby JamieCT » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:29 pm

I have to arrive earlier next year!

We came in on Tuesday, all set to camp in the North 40 and arrive before the 2:30 airshow shut down the arrival stream. We heard on the atis that camping was "saturated" and to find other airports. Man!! not what we wanted to hear. Luckily, we had people that were vendors in Hangar B for a conservation group I fly with. They rent a lakehouse every year and were kind enough to put us up for a few days... but it's not like the community of aviators tenting under the wing and being woken up by P51's every morning. Don't get me wrong!! we had an absolute blast... and it just goes to prove that every Airventure experience is unique and wonderful in its own way.

Lesson learned though: if the weather is at peak perfection, like it was this year, better arrive closer to Sunday for primo camping. We could have moved the plane into the camping area, but were already setup at the house. Missed the night air show, so we'll have to come back.

Great time was had by all! Flew back on Friday and met some other Oshkoshers getting fuel and food in Oswego, NY.. a Maule and flight of 2 Bonanzas, so we had ourselves an after-party at the restaurant. Good place for food and fuel there! Highly recommended KFZY. Then off to Portsmouth, NH to drop off my buddies... final leg home to Westfield, MA. If that wasn't enough, I ended up taking my friend's parents up to Lubec, Maine the next day for their summer vacation (they're both 88 years old!). Stayed long enough for a lobster roll and flew back to Barnes. A LOT of flying was had, and riding on the wave of Oshkosh energy made it all possible.

Return to “Meetups”