Oshkosh 2015

Postings about organizing, and reporting on, informal gatherings of UCAP listeners.
champguy

Re: Oshkosh 2015

Postby champguy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks to the UCAP gang for all you do, and all the volunteers who make Oshkosh happen, and create the wonderfull spirit of the place.
Half way home in the middle of Montana and the spirit is here as a local who will be bringing his RV3 to OSH next year spent part of his day helping to search the field for just the righr AN bolt I needed.
We are a small group of people, but we are special, because we care, and we take care of others around us.
You all fly safe out there.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

C5Guy

Re: Oshkosh 2015

Postby C5Guy » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:27 pm

I flew my Cardinal to OSH from my home airport in NJ. No maint issues at all. We had a weather divert on the first leg, but it wasn't unexpected. Fog formed over our orginal destination shortly after dawn, so we put plan B into action and landed at KOYM - St Marys. By the time I gassed up and sipped a cup of coffee, the fog had burned off and we continued to OSH. Decided to fly over the lake this year. We wore life vests, but the Old Wives Tale that you can ditch near a boat in the middle of Lake Michingan is "blowing snow" - ain't no stinkin' boats in the middle of that lake.

Arrived Monday afternoon and parked way way way down in Vintage parking on the South 40. We were about 5 rows from the end of the field. (Jeb ended up a couple of rows behind us) We bitched about the crappy location for a few minutes, then came to the realization we made it to OSH with the aiplane, our licenses, and our egos intact and had a wonderful week ahead of us. We set up the tent under the wing, had a beer, and all was right with the world.

The show was great and the weather was ideal for camping. As usual, the UCAP tiedown party was one of the highlights. I got to spend time talking to Jeb and also met Mike Hart of the Pilot's Journey podcast and the Airplane Owners podcast, along with servel other podcasters and fans. What a great bunch of people.

We departed late Friday morning (I had an 8 hour problem). The last leg of the trip over Pennsylvania in the late afternoon was awesome: clear skies, not a ripple of turbulence, and the rolling hills and farms of the countryside beneath us. I couldn't have hoped for a better way to end the week.

See you at Air Venture 2016!

Cheers,

J.D.

Return to “Meetups”