Innovations in Flight

Postings about organizing, and reporting on, informal gatherings of UCAP listeners.
AirportDude

Innovations in Flight

Postby AirportDude » Sat May 27, 2017 8:28 am

Anyone planning to attend the Innovations in Flight Family Day (Jun 17th) at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in D.C.? I driving up there to check it out, plus I've never been to either of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museums. Also hoping to meet-up with some of the crew from the Airplane Geeks Podcast. If anyone is going, give me a shout!

The Other Jeff
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

Scofreyjet

Re: Innovations in Flight

Postby Scofreyjet » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:01 pm

Jeff, did you make it up to Udvar-Hazy over the weekend? I've been there a couple of times (never over Father's Day weekend though) and love it. I've been to the museum on the mall more than once as well, although I'm overdue for a visit.

Were you able to connect with anybody from the Geeks?
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

AirportDude

Postby AirportDude » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:01 am

Jeff,

Yes, made it! First time to the museum and just WOW! Met-up with Max & David from the Airplane Geeks podcast, as well as a couple of other folks who made the trip. One of the participants, Hillel Glazer, flew in with his Cherokee 180 and set-up a table showing the old original nav equipment that he replaced with modern GPS & ADS-B Out/In avionics.

If you follow the Airplane Geeks podcast, you'll hear Max's interview with Hillel and learn of a small incident which occurred when a little girl was checking-out his plane at the event! (hope the UCAP crew doesn't mind 'advertising' another podcast on here!)

After the day's events we all met up a local restaurant for drinks, food, stories, and just great avgeek company!

Plus the other cool thing was that the hotel I stayed in was also where the Southwest crews stayed on their overnights at Dulles, so had some great conversations in the hotel bar!

The other Jeff
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Very cool, and no problem with advertising the Geeks! After all, I met Max the first time when he attended a UCAP meetup in Connecticut!
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

Return to “Meetups”