Central New England Meetup

Postings about organizing, and reporting on, informal gatherings of UCAP listeners.
JHWellington

Re: Central New England Meetup

Postby JHWellington » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:41 pm

Barnes (KBAF) is a fantastic location near Bradley Intl. The price of AVGAS is always $1.00 cheaper than anywhere else. Also, they have a great restaurant right on the field. 2 runways, 3 instrument approaches. It's dead center of the target area.

John

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:41 pm

JHWellington wrote:Barnes (KBAF) is a fantastic location near Bradley Intl.

Yeah, I was looking at Barnes or Hartford-Brainard as being decent sized, centrally located, and with on-airport restaurants.

Haven't been to either one, so I could go either way! (or another way :?: )
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

Laminar

Postby Laminar » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:03 am

Jack or Jeff,
We need a little guidance here. Will the meetup venue be selected by careful consideration of fuel prices, or by careful consideration of beer prices?

-Rick

bedds

Postby bedds » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:50 pm

I would second KBAF, easy to get by air or land. If planned for spring pretty sure I can get a couple of Yak 52-s to attend.

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:57 pm

Fuel or Beer - hmmm... both are important, but of course they don't mix! :)

Well, now that Jack has included this topic in the podcast itself, we should get some more interest, and we'll have to set a date.

In the meantime, I'm planning on attending the annual "Crash Course" safety session (featuring ASF prez Bruce Landsberg) in Bedford Mass. on March 10th, and I was thinking it might be cool to meet up briefly (after the session ends at 8:30) with any UCAP listeners who happen to be in attendance. Maybe I'll hold up a sign or something... :idea:

Here's the event info for the Crash Course event.

I went last year, and the presentations were very good, and of course it's free. :D

Maybe if Jack pitches this event also, we'll get some momentum outside of the "forum core".
Jeff Ward
Scofreyjet on Twitter

jimg

Postby jimg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:16 pm

Let's see, it all depends on your point of view.

For some, Eastern Slopes Regional Airport (KIZG) in Fryeburg, Maine
is in "Central New England." ;)

Jim

goosefear

Postby goosefear » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:08 pm

I would be coming from Akron, OH (15G). I don't know of the local airports around there so any one would work for me. I also think a UCAP/Oshkosh BBQ would be cool. I am planning on flying this year and parking in the North 40... thats the plan as of now anyway. All of us flying to Oshkosh should arrange parking together! Or maybe a mass UCAP arrival............ LOL
Happy Flying........ Scott (15G)
http://www.goosefear.com

mdpilots

Postby mdpilots » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:08 pm

An Oshkosh UCAP arrival. Hm. We could call it "The Great Leinenkugel Airlift". Bringing Leinies to all the good girls and boys in the North 40.

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:26 pm

Well, looks like we're talking about two different meetups for New England at this point. Expect more details of the first (probably non-airport) meetup to be held later in March when UCAP #125 comes around.

The KBAF (or suitable alternate) airport meetup will probably have to wait until the weather is a little more forgiving (as in, the icing level gets a little higher!)

Meanwhile, if anyone out there does attend the ACONE "Crash Course" in Bedford MA tomorrow night (March 10th) send me a text at "scofreyjet@vtext.com" if you want to meet up and yak for a few minutes after the session.
Jeff Ward
Scofreyjet on Twitter

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:20 am

OK, here's the plan:

The Barnes Airport thing is a good idea, but let's let it wait a little longer until the weather is a little more reliable and spring-like. April or May. More on that later.

In the meantime...

Anyone who's interested, let's get together on Monday evening March 23, at 6:30pm, at the 99 Restaurant/Bar in Tewksbury, Mass. This will be very casual, just sitting and chatting. There'll probably be some eating and drinking too, but it won't be formal dinner, instead snacks and the like.

The 99 Restaurant
Tewksbury, MA
401 Main Street (Route 38)
Tewksbury, MA 01876

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... iwloc=addr

Return to “Meetups”