The Great Southeast UCAP Meetup

Postings about organizing, and reporting on, informal gatherings of UCAP listeners.
Jeb

The Great Southeast UCAP Meetup

Postby Jeb » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:40 am

Alright... Jack and Dave have kinda/sorta shamed me into it. But it sounds like a lotta fun, so we're gonna do a UCAP meetup somewhere in the southeast U.S.

As follows:

Date: April 18 or 19.
Time: TBD (I'm thinking lunch)
Location: (Also TBD -- obviously someplace where there's lunch)

Although VNC is really easy for me (duh!) and has a decent lunch counter and cheap fuel, it's probably not at all convenient for listeners. Since I'm always looking for an excuse to fly, I don't mind bugging out of Sarasota in the least. Some easy (for me) destinations that come to mind:

JAX, SAV, AHN, MCN, BHM, TLH, etc. You get the idea.

Use this thread to bounce location ideas around. If enough people indicate an interest, I might even convince Amy to join us.

Thanks, folks!

Jeb

InTheAir

Re: The Great Southeast UCAP Meetup

Postby InTheAir » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:48 pm

VNC works for me... but I will travel.

HJBlue

Postby HJBlue » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:46 pm

I vote for VNC.

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:04 pm

I'm good for VNC, obviously...

gerlachca

Postby gerlachca » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:11 am

VNC is nice. However my vote goes for the Sky View Cafe at my local airport, PGD. It's just down the road from VNC and the on-field Sky View Cafe has been recognized as the best breakfast in Charlotte county. The staff is friendly and airspace is uncontrolled but not overrun and out-of-control. There is an interesting mix of Airbus, MD-80, DC-9, Biz Jet, Cirrus, Cessna, Piper, and LSA in the pattern at times. Even if the official meetup goes somewhere else, I propose a planning meeting at the Sky View Cafe.
Chuck
Up-Chuck Aviation

gerlachca

Postby gerlachca » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:13 am

Forgot to mention PGD is half way between Jeb and Amy. A short hop for both our favorite aviation journalists.
Chuck
Up-Chuck Aviation

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:24 pm

There is an interesting mix of Airbus, MD-80, DC-9, Biz Jet, Cirrus, Cessna, Piper, and LSA in the pattern at times.

That sounds fascinating! *I* want to go to a meetup there!

-- Jack

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:06 am

LOL...

I diverted there a year or so ago (VNC was below minimums, but PGD was clear). I was nominally #2 for the runway, behind a Cherokee, when a Citation called in on a 10-mile final. The Cherokee freaked and maneuvered to let the Citation go in ahead of him and I had little choice but to assume the #3 position. I got home a couple hours later, after the front moved through.

Some discount carrier started serving PGD a year or two ago. Since PGD never before had scheduled service, some changes were in order. One of them was painting yellow lines around the carrier's ramp area, a no-taxi zone. Of course, few locals were told and continued to taxi right through it until the local TSA goons got into it.

I support anything that pisses off the TSA.

I'll put PGD on the possibles list.

Jeb

David Allen

Postby David Allen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:36 am

I would REALLY love to be at this meetup! I am on the east coast of central Florida, so anywhere in central Florida is best for me. VNC is a good choice for me as well, but once the decision is made, I'll do my best to make it whereever it occurs.

Can't wait!

David

UPDATE: I just looked at the driving distance/time to PGD from my home. It's about 3 hours 45 minutes one way, so unless I can hop a ride on an airplane, I may not travel that far, especially with SnF coming up so fast. I'll have to give that more thought...

gerlachca

Postby gerlachca » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:12 pm

PGD now has 2 discount carriers. So if you don't want to waste a lot of time talking to TSA critters, don't cross the double red lines.
Chuck
Up-Chuck Aviation

Return to “Meetups”