Airventure Oshkosh Meetup

Postings about organizing, and reporting on, informal gatherings of UCAP listeners.
jimg

Re: Airventure Oshkosh Meetup

Postby jimg » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi, Gang,

OK, I'm making an executive decision. Well, it's more like an executive suggestion.

Because the Airventure show grounds will not have opened by Sunday evening, I have
selected the following location for the first of possibly several UCAP Airventure meetups.

Sunday July 26, 2009 at 6:30 pm
Charcoal Pit Pub & Restaurant
1485 W 20th Ave
Oshkosh, WI 54902-6622
(920) 233-7430

This restaurant is at the northwest corner of the "North 40" camping area, essentially at the northwest
corner of the end of runway 09. In that part of the airport, there are two hotels: a "Super 8" and a
"Hilton Garden Inn." There is an opening in the airport fence to each of these hotels, and
the Charcoal Pit is located between the two hotels.

Jim
Url for UCAP news: http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23ucap

jimg

Postby jimg » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:05 pm

Updates via twitter.

I'll use twitter to post updates about dates/times/location. Follow "pilotjimg" on twitter.

If you don't carry around an Internet-enabled notebook computer, have your
twitter stuff go to your phone (text messaging) or other portable device for access during Airventure.

At least I think this will work. If twitter won't work for you, please PM me through
the forum and we'll work something out.

I'm also looking for lunch meetups during the week.

Jim G

Navionpilot

Postby Navionpilot » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:36 pm

The grounds of EAA will be open Sunday. Wherever you want to meet sounds good.
"Very hard and smooth surfaces, such as obtained by the use of concrete, are not popular with pilots.- Civil Airport Construction 1928- Fly Grass!!!!!!!!!

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:21 pm

OK, let me see if I can roll all this good discussion up into a list of possibilities.

Reading through all these OSH meetup posts I'm actually seeing a fairly short list of possibles:

• Sunday afternoon at the VAA Red Barn
  • Sunday evening, either at the EAA974 campsite or at Charcoal Pit
  • Wednesday evening, a "crossover" event for those present for either the first or second "half" of the week.
  • Thursday evening possibly at the EAA974 campsite

I think these are all good.

I've added them all to the wiki page. If you see some names signed up for any of them on that page you can consider them real, otherwise take your chances. Chances are you'll meet a pilot of some sort at each location regardless.

Navionpilot

Postby Navionpilot » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:19 pm

ok, how about the Charcoal Pit for the Wednesday Meetup? And I will email some folks when I arrive on Saturday and see who wants to hang out....

Jonathan "Navionpilot"
jhardwick@netjets.com
"Very hard and smooth surfaces, such as obtained by the use of concrete, are not popular with pilots.- Civil Airport Construction 1928- Fly Grass!!!!!!!!!

mike5

Postby mike5 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:36 pm

Thanks to everyone for planning these meetups. I look forward to seeing everyone at OSH.

Regarding the Sunday night EAA974 meetup, can I simply stroll onto the OSH grounds...or do I need a ticket or something? I am not camping this year...staying in a hotel.

By the way, I am the guy with the Sting S3 LSA for those who attended the last Northeast Meetup. Big UCAP fan.

Mike

Navionpilot

Postby Navionpilot » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:09 pm

you can on Sunday. Camp scholler is open separate from the Airventure gates and you can enter at the Schaick Rd gate. we are on row 29.... or road 29 off of Schaick Rd. If you get lost just call.

Jonathan
513-720-0509

jimg

Postby jimg » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:51 am

Hi, Folks,

Sorry for the confusion if caused by me (probably). Sunday evening was only supposed to be one meetup, not two at the same time in two different places, as far as I know. I fixed that on the Wiki page.

The rest are unchanged.

For convenience (if there is such a thing) here are some useful URLs in one place...

The UCAP Wiki page with the meetups and signups can be found here:

http://www.uncontrolledairspace.com/wiki/doku.php?id=osh09meetups

I said previously that I would attempt to broadcast via Twitterany location updates during Airventure because I will not be, and many others will not be, carrying around a notebook computer. (The Twitter broadcasts can be made to appear on your cell phone via SMS text messaging. See this twitter faq for more info on that.)

My twitter page should show my twitter broadcasts, which really haven't started in earnest yet.

http://twitter.com/pilotjimg or you can just follow "pilotjimg".

Several people have said that they will include the tag "#UCAP" in any twitter broadcasts related to the Uncontrolled Airspace Podcast. To view any such broadcasts, you can use this URL:

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23ucap

In a similar vein, you can view Airventure-related postings from many people using this URL:

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23OSH09

Jim G

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:29 am

So the Sunday evening meetup is now at the Charcoal Pit. Is that OK with everyone? I had sorta gotten the impression that people were leaning toward the sunday night one being in camp scholler, and Wednesday being at the CP.

mike5

Postby mike5 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:50 am

I am open to the meetup being at the campsite or the restaurant on Sunday evening. If it is at the campsite, I will try to bring some adult beverages.

Mike

Return to “Meetups”