Central New England Drive/Fly In Lunch Meetup

Postings about organizing, and reporting on, informal gatherings of UCAP listeners.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Central New England Drive/Fly In Lunch Meetup

Postby jackhodgson » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:44 pm

I'll be there one way or the other.

As of right now (Friday afternoon) it's looking like marginal VFR weather between SFM AND BAF, esp in the afternoon, so I may be driving down. I'll be making my decision at 8am tomorrow.

When you get there look around for me. My pic is on the homepage, and I'll be wearing my light colored EAA hat. I'm pretty sure Jeff "Scofreyjet" Ward will be there too. Chances are he'll be wearing his "U"-cap (hat). I'll also try to leave instructions with the restaurant host/hostess, and with the Five Star FBO desk. We should all be able to hookup.

I'm hoping that many of your who are nearer to KBAF will be able to find a window in the weather to fly on over. I'm just a little concerned about finding enough good weather to make it down and back from Maine. So I may be using my alternate FBO: Avis.

Looking fwd to seeing you all.

-- Jack

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:26 pm

Since this is a "no miss" event for me, and the weather picture has deteriorated steadily :( to the point where I don't think I'll be able to relax and enjoy, I've just now made the decision to drive.

I will be wearing the "U-Cap"! ------------>>>>

Also, I called the restaurant and asked them to hold some tables for us. (Right now it's under "Jeff Ward").

John Wellington has given Five-Star FBO a heads-up as well. See you there!
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

rfelty

Postby rfelty » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:54 pm

Pictures from today's meet-up at Barned in West Springfield MA and now posted at -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickfelty/ ... 648290552/

- Rick

JHWellington

Postby JHWellington » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:27 pm

I enjoyed getting together today and meeting some other members of the forums. It was great to finally meet "one of the voices in my head." Thank you Jack H. for making the drive down from UCAP headquarters -- it was much appreciated.

I took a little video to memorialize the day: http://www.youtube.com/user/JHWellington1#play/all/uploads-all/0/gC35PhF_dsA

mike5

Postby mike5 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:11 am

I really enjoyed meeting everyone at the meetup. Also special thanks to Jack for coming down.

My trip back to KPOU in the Sting wasn't all that fun...there was some heavy rain. I managed to skirt most of it, but ended up in some near Dutchess County.

Those of you who drove instead of flying made a good decision.

Hope to see everyone again soon...maybe at OSH.

Mike

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:13 am

This was a great Meetup! Thanks to Jack and all the others who flew, drove, or attempted to fly down to KBAF. With twelve attendees, three airplanes, one helicopter, and a great airport and restaurant you couldn't have asked for much better (except for less threatening weather!)

It was a BONUS pleasure to meet Max Flight from the Airplane Geeks podcast.

Here's the group photo!
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:02 pm

That's awesome!

dcfly

Postby dcfly » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:39 pm

JHWellington wrote:Actually, for parking, tell them you want to go to Five Star. It is to the right, just next to the restaurant. They have the best fuel prices by far. AirFlyte is on the other side of the restaurant and are very active about "assisting arrivals with parking". Make sure you stay to the right of the terminal building in the parking area or just ask for Five Star.

I didn't go to the meetup (I'm in Maryland), but I have stopped at Barnes twice because of the fuel. The AirFlyte guy was out there looking very official and waving me toward a parking position. I actually got concerned that he was an airport official whose directions I needed to follow, but then grew a pair, shook my head, and continued on to Five Star. In addition to some of the best avgas prices around, did you know that Five Star also will cook a burger or hot dog for you -- for free?

Great place and a definite stop on my trips to Maine.

GB
Tiger N28244
G-ADIZ-burg, MD (KGAI)

mike.smith

Postby mike.smith » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:04 am

Hey, Jack:

Did you get the pictures of your helo ride that I sent to your UCAP address? I'll be heading to Milwaukee next week. Contact me off line and I'll give you my cell phone in case you want to drop in.
Mike Smith
Maynard, MA
Sonex N439M
Scratch-built tail dragger

mike.smith

Postby mike.smith » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:09 am

It's not exactly UCAP, but since we're all north easterners 'round these parts, I'll let you know about a Sonex fly-in/drive-in that I've put together for August. If UCAPers need another excuse to go fly somewhere, everyone is welcome. Lunch will be served, and a restaurant stop is anticipated after the event. Info at:

http://tinyurl.com/neabdf
Mike Smith
Maynard, MA
Sonex N439M
Scratch-built tail dragger

Return to “Meetups”