Remos GX

Soccer-Jock

Remos GX

Postby Soccer-Jock » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Does anyone on the forum have experience flying in a Remos GX?
I'm fascinated with this aircraft and want to know more.
Flight characteristics? Stability in the air? Handling in moderate winds? (please describe what YOU consider moderate, LOL)
Overall impressions? Visibility?
Don't fly with an empty seat! Save a save life with Canine Rescue Flights

Proudly supporting LiveATC.net, uploading for St. Petersburg - Clearwater (KPIE). Click to Listen

JimP

Re: Remos GX

Postby JimP » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:29 pm

I can't comment on the flying characteristics (yet), but the visibility forward and down seems to be pretty spectacular. On the EAA website, there is a video blog of one guy's entire flight training experience learning to fly in the Remos. You can definitely get an idea of the forward visibility from his vid-blog.

One thing I noticed while "test sitting" in one, is that the lowest edge of the wing is slightly below my eye level when sitting in the seat. I'm about 5'11" tall, but longer in the torso than my 6'3" son, who did not have this problem. This means I would need to duck my head slightly to clear the airspace under the wing. Of course, visibility upward is restricted by the wing itself, just as in any other high-wing airplane. I guess you'd have to learn to "lift a wing" to check for traffic. (Of course, low wings have their visibility challenges as well...)

If you get a chance to fly it, let me know, as the Remos is on my "short list" as well... :)
Jim Parker
N5842N - 78 Commander 114 Hot Shot (Turbo Normalized)

champguy

Postby champguy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:53 am

In planes with big windows and lots of visibility, particularly forward, it is helpfull to put a sticky little bug on the inside of the windshield right at the sightline as you sit. I learned this trick almost the hard way in a float plane where knowing the sweet spot on the floats before they kiss down is a good thing. It's also helpfull landing to guage AOA and where you are going to touch down more accurately. In flight it should not be used to tell if you are going to slip just under a layer ahead because you are going to stay legal and be five hundred feet below. :roll:
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Sprink

Postby Sprink » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:48 pm

I got my license in a bubble canopy GOBOSH, so take from that what you will...

I only have 1 hour in a Remos, but my initial thoughts are that visibility is an issue in the plane. I am only 5'10" and I have to duck my head quite a bit to clear the area before making a turn to the left. Also the A-pillar is very wide and obstructs your vision out of the right side. I had traffic at two o'clock and never saw them until the mode S transponder started warning me of traffic. The plane also wants to float forever- it has a glide ratio of something like 17:1. The flaps are infinitely adjustable and electrically operated, I like the idea of specific notches for flaps.

Stall characteristics were incredible, in that it didn't really stall at all- just mush. Never even thought about dropping a wing. With the stick all the way back in my lap for a departure stall we were still climbing. Pretty impressive.

Crosswind performance was probably a little better than the GOBOSH, but it wasn't a very windy day.

On round-out it has a tendency for the bottom just to drop out, kind of an odd sensation.

I also think it looks like a tadpole.

But it has a ballistic parachute, glass cockpit, autopilot, mode S transponder, Garmin 496 w/ weather, and you can take the doors off on a hot day. Also a pretty sizeable payload with full fuel.

I only have about 50 hours, but those were my initial thoughts on the Remos.
Clark Sprinkel

champguy

Postby champguy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:26 pm

One thought on these European imports, as nice as they are, is the cost in the future. Try getting a molded wingtip or leading edge, or windshield out of Eastbumdusky, Germany.
The Dollar is settling to a place where domestic manufacture will be competitive again. This is likely to happen. It will be a fixture of our "recovery" putting people back to work.
The available domestic LSAs can be repaired out of stock materials, Aluminum, 4130 tubing, or fabric and paint, available everywhere overnight UPS.
Just a thought from someone maintaining and flying a sixty year old airworthy plane.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Soccer-Jock

Postby Soccer-Jock » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:06 am

champguy wrote:It will be a fixture of our "recovery" putting people back to work.

Amen... brother!
Don't fly with an empty seat! Save a save life with Canine Rescue Flights

Proudly supporting LiveATC.net, uploading for St. Petersburg - Clearwater (KPIE). Click to Listen

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:45 am

For any airplane, domestic or internationally produced, spares sourcing can be an issue...and believe you can get some honest answers from the importers if you ask how they stock common spares...know that several of these importers have set up -- or are trying -- to establish service-center networks...and in doing so, stocking common spares...

Not that those stocks will carry every part you can conceivably damage...have seen more than my share of elderly American-made aviation hardware sit for weeks, months, waiting for a replacement part, sometimes because the original company no longer is in business, or because the original company doesn't support that airplane anymore, or because the airplane's maker only makes the part in question when there are enough orders to make it profitable to build 25 or 50 or 100...

And these eastern European (and western, as well) airplane companies didn't just spring to life when America created an LSA category; they've been around for years, decades some of 'em, building, selling and supporting the European precursor to the American LSA, a microlight two-place category...

All this is to say, they may be new to us -- but they aint' all that new, actually, and have a lot more experience and business savvy than we credit them with.

FWIW...

Dave

dvdyzfr6

Postby dvdyzfr6 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:43 pm

been looking at the Flight Design myself. looks very similar to the Rmos. anyone own or ever flown one of these. If not I will post my experiance next week I get to test fly one. :) lucky me. I've never flown anything but a 172 so I'll compare.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:50 am

dvd,

looking fwd to your flight designs pirep.

-- Jack

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:02 pm

dvdyzfr6: Been my good fortune to fly about four evolutions worth of the Flight Designs CT line, going back nearly a decade...found them to be very solid performers, nimble and comfortable and as fast for the horsepower at the regs allow...remember that it takes only a light touch...same for most of the LSAs...

Decent luggage room, good payload numbers and fuel enough to go serious distances if that's your thing...

Look forward to hearing your feedback...

Dave

Return to “Light Sport Aviation/Sport Pilot”