Certificated Aircraft that comply with LSA

Soccer-Jock

Certificated Aircraft that comply with LSA

Postby Soccer-Jock » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:43 am

Does anyone know of or have a list of production, certificated aircraft that just happen to comply with LSA requirements?
- The Piper Cub
- The Ercoupe
??? I'm certain there are more.

champguy

Re: Certificated Aircraft that comply with LSA

Postby champguy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:09 pm

http://www.bydanjohnson.com/
The place to start. I know the list you are looking for exists.
The Aeronca line up through the 7CCM are about the best value and IMHO the best planes in the field. The T-Crafts coop you up side by side with small windows, but go faster, and the Cubs with an even lighter wing loading give the true light plane experience which may explain why they are so overpriced, and new ones available.
With all the legacy LSAs you are getting into a plane and a hoby. There will be maintenance issue and restoration issues. You also need to find the type clubs for your particular plane and the resources they have, and an IA with experiance in at least similar aircraft.
All the factors combined make the Legacy LSAs the best and most fun flying you can get.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Soccer-Jock

Postby Soccer-Jock » Wed May 05, 2010 6:57 am

Thanks, I will check that out.
Right now I have no "notion" in mind. I just want to learn more.

mmike

Postby mmike » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:22 pm

I have been offered the rental of a Luscombe for $25/hr dry once I obtain my LS license with a tailwheel endorsement.

Can anyone here comment on what it's like to fly one?

Aerco

Postby Aerco » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:54 am

This is an appeal on behalf of the English language: The term "certificated" does not exist. The word is "certified". There are no Certificated Flight Instructors, only Certified Flight Instructors, as there are no "certificated" aircraft, only "certifed" ones. Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:05 pm

Understand your frustration with the language; used to get into this debate with copy editors at The Wichita Eagle...But English style notwithstanding, the FAA language and documents regarding aircraft with type certificates as "certificated" -- as in, they have a type certificate...one of my old copy editors was a Commercial Pilot who'd been flying and working in the Wichita-Air-Capital market for three decades; it took him to settle the argument with the boss of the copy desk...

In industry standard parlance, "certificated" wins -- at least, here where aircraft are concerned...

FWIW...

Dave

PropFan

Postby PropFan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:39 pm

Aerco: now that Professor Higdon has correctly 'splained the vagaries of English as she is spoke in the aviation world, perhaps I can persuade you to re-direct your passion towards my apparently Quixotic quest to rid the English-speaking peoples of the grotesque and increasingly widespread practice of using subjective pronouns as objects in prepositional phrases: e.g., "just between you and I". This horrific usage is more virulent than the Ebola virus and is likely to lead to the downfall of civilization if not eradicated soon. :o

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:19 pm

You guys really need spend more time flying and less time on ... well... on not flying.

Aerco

Postby Aerco » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:48 am

Hey, I'm spending lots of time flying! And working on my CFI-SP! Found a lovely Cub here at the Flabob Aero Club and can't get enough of it.

In response to the original question of this post:

http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/lsa/standard_certificate_aircraft.html

That's a pretty comprehensive list and it appears to be accurate as far as I can tell. Pity some aircraft like the Taylorcraft L2 are just outside the limits by a few pounds, in this case all of 5 lbs.

Return to “Light Sport Aviation/Sport Pilot”