An LSA "Champ"

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

An LSA "Champ"

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:49 am

At first glance this is a very appealing aircraft. But is it a real Champ?

What do people (champguy?) think?

champguy

Re: An LSA "Champ"

Postby champguy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:23 pm

The think it was a good article, and highlighting the lack of payload is fair and accurate. While new is nice, any used champ out there must have been rebuilt, recovered, and kept airworthy. While the 65 horse 7ACs are really only for Sunday afternoon sightseeing, Any of the rebuilt 85 or 90 horse planes will do anything the new 7EC will do and for a lot fewer AMUs
For all its limitations I love mine. It has taken me coast to coast, over the rockies reaching twelve thousand feet, and many scenic flights in between. In fact every flight is scenic because the windows big, speeds low, and all opperations VFR.
Pay load is two with a visa card, or one with camping equipment. Works out well for both of us.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Aerco

Re: An LSA "Champ"

Postby Aerco » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:40 pm

I am hoping to become a "Champguy" eventually too. I am looking for an aircraft to use as an LSA trainer and after much deliberation decided on a Champ, but preferably with 85 p. Around here in Corona CA, summer temperatures can get insane and I can't see a 65 hp version coping with the density altitudes very well. As regards the new production Champ - it is a bit of a joke to call the airplane a two-seater, with a useful load of only 395 lbs! It should be called useless load and this is not a fault of the airplane of course, just the regs. I would venture to suggest that everyone who owns a Champ, Chief, or T'craft routinely flies them a little over gross, but you can't very well send off a student to do his checkride like that. Or ask the examiner, "can we do the checkride in two portions, please, I need to refuel halfway through..."

The choice of a Champ has been driven mainly by the fact that there are a few 85hp ones out there, they are docile, and people fit into it better than a Chief or Taylorcraft. (Modern people that is.) And the fact that I like them

Return to “Light Sport Aviation/Sport Pilot”