Flying Magazine's 2010 Bax Seat Award

All kinds of crucially important info for all UCAP Listeners. Not really.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Flying Magazine's 2010 Bax Seat Award

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:24 pm

A few weeks ago Dave, Jeb and I each received letters from Tom Poberezny of EAA, telling us that we three had been chosen to receive the 2010 Flying Magazine BAX SEAT TROPHY, for our work here on the Uncontrolled Airspace Podcast.

For those of you who don't know, Gordon Baxter was the legendary journalist and aviator, who wrote the "must read" column, "Bax Seat", that was in the back pages of every issue of Flying Magazine for almost 30 years.

Bax, as he liked to be called, was a regular pilot like all of us here. He flew because he loved it. And he loved to visit the small, local, grass-roots fields, and talk with the everyday people of aviation.

And he told us their stories, in his columns, and his books, and his public appearances.

Bax retired from Flying Magazine in 1998, and he passed away in 2005.

In 1999 EAA and Flying Magazine created the BAX SEAT TROPHY. It's an annual journalism award to honor Gordon Baxter, and to recognize an EAA member who, to quote Tom's letter, "perpetuates the Gordon Baxter tradition of communicating the excitement and romance of grassroots aviation."

We are thrilled beyond words to receive this award. Gordon Baxter and all the previous winners are people who we are honored to be considered among.

We thank Flying Magazine and EAA for this award.

We also want to thank Amy Laboda, James Wyndbrant, and all the people who have helped us with this podcast, either behind the scenes, or by visiting with us in our virtual hangar.

And last but not least, we want to thank our listeners, who have made this -- which started out to just be a fun opportunity for three guys to stay in touch weekly -- into a thrilling, fulfilling, rewarding, and humbling experience.

We will be receiving the actual award at a ceremony which will be part of the "Podapalooza" session at AirVenture Oshkosh 2010.

-- Jeb, Dave, & Jack

Laminar

Re: Flying Magazine's 2010 Bax Seat Award

Postby Laminar » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Outstanding news!
Congratulations on a well-deserved award, Jack, Jeb, Dave, (and Amy and James, too)!

-Rick

DJTorrente

Postby DJTorrente » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Congratulations, and well deserved. I'm torn between whooping it up for you and stunned reverence because... its the Bax Seat Trophy! Glad I just reinstated my Flying sub to read all about it!

-DJTorrente
"Good Rock... Welcome to Oshkosh"
AirVenture 2016: July 25-31 2017: July 24-30 http://www.airventure.org

Like they say in baseball, there's always next year.

-DJTorrente

MerlinFAC

Postby MerlinFAC » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:17 am

Awesome! You guys deserve it. Each edition of UCAP is eagerly awaited, always thoroughly enjoyed, and it really is a little bit sad when you get to the end of the episode knowing that it might be a week or two before you get to hear the next one. I think Bax would have been a big fan!

Congratulations... do you guys get a special cardboard crown or funny hat or something similar to wear now? :D

Return to “Podcast Housekeeping”