Google Map Image of Wittman Regional Airport

All kinds of crucially important info for all UCAP Listeners. Not really.
Huey Pilot

Google Map Image of Wittman Regional Airport

Postby Huey Pilot » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:23 pm

This is my first ever post. Not sure if this is the right place but since it is related to a Podcast I figured this was as good as any.

During a recent podcast, I think it was in June, Jack commented that the Google Map photo of Wittman Regional Airport was taken during Airventure. He also said, "If somebody looked at it they could probably figure out what year it was taken."

I looked at the imagery tonight. I believe it was taken during Airventure 2011. That year was a tribute to the designs of Burt Rutan. The Hondajet Pavilion is just to the North (above) the Phillips 66 Plaza. If you look just to the East (right as you view the image) of the HondaJet Pavilion there is a large gathering of Long/Vari-Eze's, I caqn make out a Defiant, and probably a few Cozy's (a very distinctively shaped airplanes) in the aircraft parking area. This leads me to believe the image was made during AirVenture 2011.

Frank
Huey Pilot

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Google Map Image of Wittman Regional Airport

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:12 pm

I think you're right about 2011. But for extra credit, what day and time of day?

// Jack

champguy

Postby champguy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:58 pm

It was taken around noon on opening day. My tent is visable but few others have arrived around me down in Vintage.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Huey Pilot

Postby Huey Pilot » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Ooohh. That's a tough one. But let me work on it.

Frank

Huey Pilot

Postby Huey Pilot » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:03 pm

OK, here is my estimate of date and time the image was taken.

Airventure 2011 ran from Monday 25 July through Sunday 31 July.

It is definitely not Sunday 31 July. There are too many aircraft still on the field.

It is definitely not Friday 29 July. Both the Dreamliner and Fifi were in the Phillips 66 Plaza on that day.

I agree with Champguy that its Monday 25 July for several reasons but I believe the image was taken between 1:00 and 2:00 pm. Monday is reinforced by several factors; there are not many aircraft in Phillips 66 Plaza and the stage is set-up for the REO Speedwagon concert by the Ford Hangar and people are seated early to get good seats. Monday was the only day a concert was held on the Phillips 66 Plaza. Also I noticed that the AeroShell Aerobatic Team are parked along the taxiway adjacent to 18-36 and all aircraft have their canopy covers in place, which would make sense since they did not fly until the following day. I also place time of day at between 1:00 and 2:00 because while there are some people near the flight line for the afternoon airshow the crowd is not yet very large. It may be closer to 2:00 since the lines at the concession stands are not very long.

so Champguy and I are in violent agreemnt that its Monday, 25 July.

Frank

champguy

Postby champguy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:18 am

Huey Pilot
I bow to your superior research and insight. Clearly you have knocked me out of the running for the "Official Free Subscription". Wandering, as I am prone to doing, can only get you near the target. It seams you then have to actually take aim to get closer.
Good luck with this. Someone may yet have a definitive answer.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

plutocrat03

Postby plutocrat03 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Google Earth dates it as 7/24 and shadows point to a bit after noon

jackhodgson
Site Admin

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:49 pm

plutocrat03 wrote:Google Earth dates it as...

Erm.

Remember the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark when Indy is confronted a big bull whip wielding bad guy? And we're not sure how Indy is gonna win this one... but he just pulls out a pistol and shoots the guy.

Who would have thought to just ask Google what the date is.

// Jack

Huey Pilot

Postby Huey Pilot » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 pm

I must respectfully disagree with Erm and Google Maps on the 24 July date of the image. That would be Sunday. It is clear in the image that folks are sitting in front to the stage queueing up for the REO Speedwagon Concert on Monday night. A really good show I'm sure (didn't get to Airventure 2011 until Thursday) but I doubt they would start sitting in front of the stage on Sunday for a show on Monday night. Also the presence of specatators near the flightline in anticipation of the air show confirms to me that it is Monday.

Frank

jackhodgson
Site Admin

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:31 am

What day was 7/24? I agree completely that the pic was taken Monday afternoon.

// Jack

Return to “Podcast Housekeeping”