Lies, damn lies, and statistics

All kinds of crucially important info for all UCAP Listeners. Not really.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Lies, damn lies, and statistics

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:16 am

I'm looking for some advice, and I'm wondering if anyone out there in the UCAP audience can help.

We keep hearing very interesting things about the size, scope, and nature of our audience. But it's all anecdotal. I'm wondering what would be involved in trying to do some sort of survey to learn more about the people who listen to this thing.

Anyone out there have any real experience with stats and surveys? I sort of have it in my head to do some sort of telephone or email survey to learn this stuff.

???

-- Jack

PilotBillFromTexas

Re: Lies, damn lies, and statistics

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:49 pm

I've been on the receiving end of Survey Monkey surveys. It looks like a pretty good tool but, that's about all I know about it.

IdahoMike

Re: Lies, damn lies, and statistics

Postby IdahoMike » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:51 pm

One of the things I do for a living is employee surveys for large corporations to understand aspects of the workforce - demographics, skill mix, attitudes, morale, safety, etc.

We are considering building some tools to do this online. We are pretty rigorous about statistics. The big problem with online tools is the lack of validity because of self-selection bias. You could improve response rates by giving something away (a Bose Headset or perhaps Jeb's Debonair).

The big thing to ask is what exactly do you want to know about the audience and how well do you want to know it. Rod Rakic may have a lot to offer in terms of what data might be important to know.

Contact me if you want, I would be glad to help.

Return to “Podcast Housekeeping”