Is the UCAP Podcast too long ?????

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
ibayliss

Is the UCAP Podcast too long ?????

Postby ibayliss » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:31 am

Hi Guys from a Brit living in Germany near Frankfurt.

AVGAS currently costs 2.15 Euro for a Litre at Egelsbach (EDFE) which is where I am based. Landings for a C172 are 15.26 Euro without a noise certificate and 7.65 Euro with a Certificate. Not much of an incentive to keep current and only the brave would convert those prices into Dollars !!!!!!

Anyway - here is the ppint of my posting - I have sort of got hooked on your Podcast that I listen to on my way to work. I like the topics discussed and the informed opions given. As a FAA CFII it also keeps me up to date on what is hapenning over on the other side of the pond.

The only problem is that I think it lasts too long. Currently we are getting episodes of about 80 to 90 minutes of which at least 10 minutes is the pre-flight inspection followed by the run-up. At the end we get 10 minutes of engine shut down ond post flight briefing. This means that at least 20 minutes are wasted.

As I have a 30 to 40 minute journey my listening enjoyment and pleasure is often split into 3 parts !

What does the rest of the listening community think ??

Keep up the good work and "Happy Landings"

Ian

t0r0nad0

Re: Is the UCAP Podcast too long ?????

Postby t0r0nad0 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:49 pm

I too have about a 40-50 minute commute to and from work, which is also when I listen to UCAP. However, I don't consider the preflight, run-up, engine shut-down, and post-flight briefing to be wasted time. I like having to split up my listening pleasure because if I didn't, it would be good for one trip and then I'd have to wait a week or more for some more of the Gang's witty reparte. This way, I have something to listen to in both directions of my commute for a couple of days. Often, I wish it would last even longer, but that's just because I enjoy listening to the guys talk. Keep up the good work guys, and I can't wait till I have a chance to listen to #64!
-PJ

PP-ASEL as of 8/15/2007
AGI as of 6/30/2008
FAASTeam Representative

States in which I have been the sole manipulator of the controls on takeoff and/or landing:

etterre

Postby etterre » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:34 pm

NOOOOOOOO! Don't make it shorter!!! I listen at my desk and I always get a little sad when Jack starts talking about having used the allotted time.

sberg15750

Postby sberg15750 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:06 pm

No way! I love listening to the guys and I can't hear enough Keep up the good work guys - love the show!

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:58 pm

Back when we started UCAP I thought that 1 hour was the maximum reasonable length for this kind of podcast. I tried to keep it to that length. That's where the concept of "our allotted time" came from.

But in talking with listeners last summer I was surprised to discover, as we've seen in the replies here, that many are perfectly OK for it to go longer. So I don't worry about it so much any more. I now shoot for a max of 1:20.

"Our allotted time" has remained, mostly as a useful bit of terminology to signal my co-hosts that we need to wrap it up. Otherwise they'd talk all night.

Thanks for listening, and remember, there's always fast-forward.

stonemanvideo

Postby stonemanvideo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:12 pm

Please don't shorten it. I love the fact that I can listen on my way to and from work. I get to start my day thinking about flying and end it the same way. It is that time in the middle that is a drag. I love the podcast. Keep 'em coming.
Dustin Stone
Tulsa, Ok

LimaBravo

Postby LimaBravo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:16 pm

_
At 1:00 it was great, at 1:20 it is even better!!!

Jack, Dave, Jeb, keep it coming

jmdowney

Postby jmdowney » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:23 pm

Nope, not too long, just about right at 1:20.
I had been listening from the very first podcast. Some changes in my work schedule and not having an iPod contributed to a long lay-off from listening, and I've been doing a lot of catching up, with 5 or 6 episodes loaded and ready to go on my iPod.
I find when I get down to the last one, I go back to the iTunes store and start looking for others that I may have missed so I can continue getting my "fix".
I too listen on my commutes, which for the most part are much shorter (even in the DC-area) than some of the other listeners. I still am able to get through 3 or 4 episodes a week. I also find my self checking every couple of days for the new one.
One of the best things you folks bring to your podcast is the sprinkling of your real world experiences you use to help describe and punctuate current GA events, or relate to listeners stories. So many of the other podcasts just read the news, more or less, they may find on various other aviation sources. If you try to keep to a shorter length, some of those little gems might be lost, and I'd hate to see that.
Please just keep on what you're doing. Like Jack said, there's always fast forward.
Thanks for a great source of GA information; current, historical, anecdotal and FUN. During these long winter months, it helps to mainline UCAP on a daily basis (for now).
jd

DaveA

Postby DaveA » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:59 pm

I think it's just right. Remember that I'm the guy that's spent the last month listening to all 60+ podcasts beginning to end. Ah, yes, 'the voices in my head'. :?

It reminds me of a real hangar flying session, especially when Dave and Jeb get going on a subject. The occasional guests, like James and Amy, change things up nicely. Keep that part going. I don't mind how long it goes- I know how to stop and start my Ipod, thank you...
"Powered by 110 octane Algae-Poo..." :mrgreen:

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:42 am

An hour's probably good. If it went on for three then I probably wouldn't notice because once I'm in the zone, I'm in the zone.

Always glad to see UCAP downloading on iTunes.

Return to “Listener Mail”