What's next?

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
Meeverett

What's next?

Postby Meeverett » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:04 am

I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm really thankful for every episode of UCAP. It is a staple in my listening arsenal, and I feel like a kid on Christmas every time a new episode comes out. I'm looking forward to another great year of content.

In other news, I started the year off by getting my private ticket. Not that I planned it this way, but it happened at 1pm on 1/1/10 to be exact. I was prowling the forums and I'm pretty sure I had the same examiner as Greatblue - http://uncontrolledairspace.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=549&p=2719#p2719. The funniest part of the entire experience for me was the last .3 or so of the flight consisted of flying without touching the yoke at all (I tried several times). I have to admit it was a learning experience more than anything, because I'm confident that he has forgotten more than I will ever know.

So now my question is, what next? I plan to get an instrument rating, but I plan to wait a little bit before fully jumping back in the learning saddle. I'm looking at getting my complex and high performance endorsements. Bearing in mind I'm a renter, what sort of things people do for fun when they have money to burn and a plane to fly?

Matt E.
KTYS - Knoxville, TN
http://leavingterrafirma.com/

rcigliano

Re: What's next?

Postby rcigliano » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:41 am

Matt

Congratulations on getting your ticket! 1/1/10 at 1 PM. Play those numbers!
Rob
Private Pilot SEL
FRG
Tecnam Eaglet

@RobertCigliano on Twitter
The New Pilot PodBlog Podcast
@NewPilotPodBlog on Twitter
http://thenewpilotpodblog.com

JHWellington

Postby JHWellington » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:03 am

Matt:

It's simple -- just fly. Go to a new airport every time. You need some "no one I can count on in the right seat" time -- it will do you a world of good. Each flight will provide you with a nugget of new experience. Some from mistakes you'll make and some from things you'll do really well. All will add to that reservoir every pilot needs to count on called experience.

Don't sweat the where or the when, but do sweat the number of days since you last flight. Don't let too many pass without some stick time.

Congratulations and best of luck.

John

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:38 pm

Gotta second JH...and maybe expand on the idea...look for some day-trip destinations; talk to your rental sources, find out there rules, guidelines, minima for a trip that lets you RON somewhere with the bride/girlfriend/date/child/friend -- share the adventure as much as you can.

Quick example: Someplace that you can reach flying the minimum hours to keep the plane overnight; get there as early as possible one day, fly home as late as possible the next...

Now, if you're really adventurous and plan on the budget, consider this: if the renter has a three-hour min for keeping the airplane on a trip, look for a destination 4, 4.5 hours out and plan a trip. Look for a destination or two, someplace you'd like to go for a couple of nights at a distance that the total round-trip time gets you within an hour of the daily minimum...

And remember, it's Hobbs time, so the destination may need to be only 3.5 to 4 hours away to make this work. Anyway, you can then take a trip across three days, get 400, 500 miles from home to someplace fun or interesting or personally important, stay two nights, come home and have met the min for three days -- or within an hour...

Or...make a day out of it -- 90 minutes someplace early in the day, take a tour, have lunch, fly 30 someplace else and enjoy the scenery, then home...daytrip!

When you find your spending enough as a rental that you can find the Cherokee or 172 or Tiger that lets you fly more and spend less...well, then you're into a whole new level of your adventure...

JH is correct, though - get out and about to the limits of your budget and confidence level and guarantee your confidence level will grow faster of the two :)

Happy flying and Congrats on the ticket!

Dave

Meeverett

Postby Meeverett » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:08 am

JH- Thanks for the advice about watching the day between flights, I've really taken it to heart, as I realized I was in danger of letting too much time lapse between flights. Thanks to Dave also for opening my eyes to the concept of taking the plane over multiple days. To be honest, I hadn't really thought about it, since my longest rental had been four hours for the long cross-country. I've tested the waters with the wife and found that she will make a good passenger. The trick now is working out the rental logistics. My flight school and rental source are doing their part also by adding new planes this month. I'm now checked out in a DA20-C1 Eclipse and I am very impatiently awaiting the arrival of a G1000 Skyhawk later this month.

Even with the additions, some of the maneuvering has led to a short term availability problem. So a secondary question I have is how is the easiest way to run down rental sources? I'm aware of two others that I could look into (I've got 172s coming out my ears), but I'm just curious if there is a tried and true method to finding rentals. To elucidate, I had discussed the idea of multi-engine training with the two CFIs that I have been working with. Both are multi rated and there is a guy that can teach multi, but none of us knew where one might go about obtaining a multi-engine plane without buying/leasing/stealing it.

I realize there is probably no better method than asking around, but I thought I'd float this one out there just in case any one had any hard earned wisdom they'd like to send my way. Also, I'm enjoying my new privileges and I have to say that I'm truly thankful for all the people that have taken their time to congratulate me and welcome me to the club.
Matt E.
KTYS - Knoxville, TN
http://leavingterrafirma.com/

RigaRunner

Postby RigaRunner » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:57 pm

I was just where you are a couple of years ago.

My thoughts are these: first, the advice from everyone to "go fly," and to find fun destinations to go with your wife, well, that is great advice. My wife and I have done fun things like a weekend trip to Niagara Falls (we'd never been there) and to several nice resorts like the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs WV and Nemacolin Woodlands Resort in PA. With a friend, I did a day trip in which we flew up to West Point in NY and then we flew down the Hudson and around the Statue of Liberty, before returning down the Atlantic coast. There are lots of places to go and things to do, and your airplane just puts more of them within easy reach.

Second, see if you can buy into an airplane. You are based at a pretty good sized airport (bigger than mine -- KJYO) and there must be lots of people there looking for partners. Start asking around and letting people (like the airport director and the FBO staff) know you're looking, and you'll be surprised how many great opportunities are never posted on the bulletin board.

Look carefully at the kind of partnership it is, to be sure that you actually own a share of the airplane. (Some so-called partnerships and clubs are really just rental operations in disguise.) Also, you want to determine how the other partners use the aircraft. I found one in which everyone is a pleasure pilot (that is, no one is trying to use the plane for work travel) and we are all equally interested in making the kind of investment this plane requires.

The big advantage of owning over renting is that you don't have to get the plane back to home base the next day. You can keep it and go as far as you want, your partners of course being in agreement. That's much better than a rental situation where the owner wants that plane of his to be in the air, generating revenue, several hours of every day. Owning is also going to be cheaper flying for you, especially if you can fly at least 50 hours per year. Let me tell you, I have no trouble doing more like 75 to 100 hours per year!

Good luck! And let me know if you're ever interested in coming up to the DC area.
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

JHWellington

Postby JHWellington » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:41 am

Matt:

The problem with finding multiple FBO's for rentals is staying current with all of them. At most rental locations, they require a checkride with an instructor at certain intervals -- usually every six month, sometimes it's only annually. If you then double or triple that requirement because of multiple schools, it could get expensive and difficult to maintain.

What about flying clubs in your area? They would most likely be cheaper and much more flexible about overnight rentals. Only downside is most clubs own "old" planes. But it may be a possibility for you. Good luck.

Return to “Listener Mail”