1st Solo!

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
DCFlyer

1st Solo!

Postby DCFlyer » Wed May 05, 2010 1:25 pm

I finally soloed yesterday! Awesome feeling indeed. I was surprised how I was more nervous with the CFI on board during the practice laps. Once he got out of the plane it was not too bad at all. Putting the 1st entry in the log book was a very nice feeling.

champguy

Re: 1st Solo!

Postby champguy » Wed May 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Thats Great, Congratulations.
Now you can start to go through what the rest of us do every time we fly.
I'm at a thousand hours, but every time I haul the plane out, I prepare the plane, prepare my passenger, and prepare myself. Each little thing I skip, bites me. Never fails.
Every day of flying is the most important day of our lives, because our lives depend on it being done right. Some day I'll be so good this will no longer surprise me.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

lucaberta

Postby lucaberta » Thu May 06, 2010 3:08 am

Way to go DCFlyer!!

I had the exact same feeling that you describe, more nervous with the CFI onboard, but when I was finally by myself I ended up nailing 3 perfect patterns with 2 touch and go and a nice fullstop landing. It's been 19 years ago, but the memory is still vivid.

Enjoy your moment, pilot!! ;)

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

ricknorcal

Postby ricknorcal » Thu May 06, 2010 12:30 pm

Congrats, DCFlyer!!

What I remember most about my first solo is that the anxiety totally disappeared as the wheels left the ground - once in the air, you just remember your training and "fly the airplane".

Great job - welcome to the club!
Rick

DCFlyer

Postby DCFlyer » Thu May 06, 2010 2:23 pm

champguy wrote:Thats Great, Congratulations.
Now you can start to go through what the rest of us do every time we fly.
I'm at a thousand hours, but every time I haul the plane out, I prepare the plane, prepare my passenger, and prepare myself. Each little thing I skip, bites me. Never fails.
Every day of flying is the most important day of our lives, because our lives depend on it being done right. Some day I'll be so good this will no longer surprise me.

We had a delay taking off after I had done the entire preflight. So we put the plane back in the spot and left half an hour later. No one touched the plane but I did the entire preflight again. I probably didn't have to but I felt it was right. I like flying because it gives me a chance to be "anal".

I have gotten a lot of, "wow" and "that is cool" from my non flying friends. It feels pretty good to do something most people will never do.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Sat May 08, 2010 5:40 pm

Best part of soloing? Realizing that the experience just keeps getting better... :P

waytogo!

Dave

Return to “Listener Mail”