Hello UCAP from England

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
dansmusicuk1

Hello UCAP from England

Postby dansmusicuk1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:37 am

Hello UCAP

This is my first post and I just wanted to say hello.

I am a private pilot of a whopping 2 years. Originally from Chicago but now live in England. I trained at a fantastic club here in the UK.
http://www.seething-airfield.com

Our club owns the airfield that was once an on an old US air force base, complete with museum. Everything at the club is done on a volunteer basis, and even the instructors give up their time for free. It’s extremely expensive to fly over here and our club ethos is to bring flying to within the reach of the ordinary guy in the street. We keep it as inexpressive as possible and we just celebrated the clubs 50th anniversary this past weekend with a fly in.

I wonder if there are many more UK UCAP listeners ? I really enjoy the show, and listened all the way through my training, and still do.
Jack Jeb and Dave....You guys rock.

Happy Landings
Dan G

PS. Some of my youtube flying vids if anyone is interested can be found here. http://www.youtube.com/user/dansmusicuk1

Dave Higdon

Re: Hello UCAP from England

Postby Dave Higdon » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Cool stuff, Dan! Welcome to the neighborhood!!

Fantastic story about your home field -- very cool...and nice to hear some U.S. Army Air Corps/American infrastructure is carrying on and supporting aviation across the pond...

Any other U.K./England listeners, here's a place you should check out -- and the start of a UK UCAP Meet-up ;)

Thanks, Dan -- and congrats on your accomplishment!

Dave

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:40 pm

Dan,

Don't know how many other UCAP listeners there are in the UK, but if you haven't discovered it already, there's a great UK aviation podcast. It's the "Flying Podcast", at http://www.flyingpodcast.co.uk

Steve Cooke does a great job with this 'cast, and has recorded many great interviews.

Best,
Jeff
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

Flying Podcast

Postby Flying Podcast » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Hey Dan
Nice vids. I'm another long time listener from over here in the UK (and podcast producer). I fly up in the damp north - Barton, Manchester. Is that your Vans in the video?
Steve

dansmusicuk1

Postby dansmusicuk1 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi Steve

Thanks for the post. No the Vans not mine unfortunately, it was built by a couple of fellow club members at Seething, down here in Norfolk.
They also built a Jabiru 2 years ago thats in a couple of my vids. My aircraft is the Cessna 150 G-BOIV featured in a lot of the shots.

I will look forward having a look at your videos and a listen to the podcast.

Dan G

Larry James

Postby Larry James » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:55 am

Hi Dan,

I'm another UCAP listener based in the UK and this is my first post too.

I am an American but I've been living in London for the past four years and fly out of several of the GA airports in the area but chiefly Denham. Lately though I have been spending quite a bit of time flying out of Prague for a new aircraft owner. Who knows, we may cross paths.

Cheers - as they say in these parts

Larry

dansmusicuk1

Postby dansmusicuk1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi Guys

I Just thought i would drop a note to say earned my JAA IMC rating last week in England. I also did the Night Qualification, as its not a standard part of the JAA PPL.

The IMC is not a full IFR rating but has some of the same privileges, but is only valid in the UK.

This rating was designed because the European IFR is so far out of reach of GA pilots, and geared towards the ATPL guys,
including 7 ground school exams at the ATPL level.

For UK pilots who have no commercial aspirations, the IMC Rating is recognised as one of the most useful additions to the PPL.
It dosnt have crazy requirements to obtain and to keep current, whilst covering the key aspects of flying in IMC and under IFR.

Unfortunately with the JAA to EASA transition and their ultimate wisdom (not) ...we could see the end of this rating.

I just hope they agree to grandfather rights on this rating, and don't take it away in 2012.

All the best

Dan G

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:19 pm

I Just thought i would drop a note to say earned my JAA IMC rating last week in England. I also did the Night Qualification, as its not a standard part of the JAA PPL.

Congrats on the new rating Dan! That sounds like a useful addition, and after listening to Steve Cooke's recent episodes about the differences in training in the U.S. vs. U.K., going for the full instrument rating sounds like a life's work!
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

dansmusicuk1

Postby dansmusicuk1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:06 am

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the above mention, and you are spot on about doing the IR in the UK.

My parents live in Fort Myers near Page Field where I started my training, and I spend a bout 3-4 weeks there a year.
So perhaps one day I will get the full IR added to my FAA licence while on vacation.

My next thing though is going to be a tailwheel endorsement. A very experienced member of my club has
kindly offered some training in his Jodel. Looking forward to that and getting to work on those rudder skills.

I downloaded a couple of Steve's "Flying Podcast" episodes that you mentioned and thought they were very good.
He also has some cool videos. I have done some of my own flying videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/dansmusicuk1
and hope to do some more professional looking ones in the future. Possibly involving flight training.

Take Care
Dan G

Flying Podcast

Postby Flying Podcast » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:16 am

Well done on the IMC rating Dan.
I was told by a flying instructor here that you are 80% less likely to have an accident when you have an IMC rating - whatever that means.
It is a great rating isn't it, especially if you intend to fly regularly here in the UK. Hopefully EASA will see sense and roll out a Europe-wide 'cut-down' IR rating.
Steve

Return to “Listener Mail”