First Solo! Thank You!

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
Andrew B

First Solo! Thank You!

Postby Andrew B » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:14 pm

Hello Everyone,

Today was a new chapter in my road to becoming the pilot, the solo. With about 18 hours, I was ready and had been awaiting my 16th birthday for some time now. Today I turned sixteen, I didn't want to go to the RMV today to get my learners permit, but much rather wanted to go solo. Went to the airport this morning at 8 and meet with my instructor. After many series of pictures and after giving plenty of re-assuring hugs to my poor mom who had to deal with watching her son fly alone this morning, I got in N4347H, a Piper Warrior II and took off with the instructor. 3 touch n' goes later we pulled up in front of of the FBO, he signed my medical and logbook and hopped in a golf cart. He sat on the edge of 6/24 and watched. I taxied down to the end of runway 6, announced takeoff, positioned, and jammed that throttle to the firewall and off I went. 45, 50, 55 Rotate and off I came climbing out over the water. I looked at the seat next to me, couldn't compell myself not to, and simply laughed, I was so excited to be up and about in the air alone finally that I had no other response to this event than to just let out a laugh and a sigh of relief, I could do this.

It was honestly the most amazing feeling in the world, I spent the pattern talking myself though everything I usually would do. My final approach was good, and I flared for the first time by myself and the plane ballooned under some gusty conditions this morning, I think I floated about 500' and settled the mains then the nose. Not bad for the first one i guess, at that point I was considering any landing you could walk away from was still good. I taxied back and did it again, This time the approach was much more solid and my landing wad terrific, perfect speed, flare, and the mains sqeaked and the the nose gently dropped. The third was just as uneventful.

I have to say that flying is one of the most amazing things ever, and 12 hours later as I write this I think the full force of the magnitude of what I personally just did i sinking in. It feels amazing. Hopefully I will get some sleep tonight cause I certainly didnt get any last night ! :D

Now, the real reason im writing here right now,

Thank you to everyone who has helped my through my training! You have no idea the amount of help and support that I have recieved from everyone involved in UCAP. Everyone from the listeners to Jack, Jeb and Dave themselves. I have been a listener for about a year now and I have comprehended so much more knowledge about all things GA from everyone who helps on the podcast and on the forums. So thank you all for all you have done for me and happy flying!

--Andrew

P.S. Congrats on the 200th, loved the episode!
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

ricknorcal

Re: First Solo! Thank You!

Postby ricknorcal » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:54 pm

Congrats, Andrew - a very special day that you will never forget. The next one will be your checkride. ;)

Great work!!!
Rick

sballmer

Postby sballmer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:17 am

Congratulations! You will get many unforgettable flying memories in your future flying, but this one will always stick out.
Way to go.

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Thank you!

Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

panhandler1956

Postby panhandler1956 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:13 am

Congratulations Andrew! And thanks to your parents for supporting such and endeavor!
Brent Owens
Columbus, OH

rcigliano

Postby rcigliano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:15 pm

A BIG congratulations!! You accomplished something truly amazing, especially at the age of 16. You are now a pilot!

And BTW, don't ever stop talking to yourself. It is a great habit to have. I talk through everything, regardless of whether I am alone or with a passenger. It really helps me to concentrate and not forget to do things.

Again a BIG congrats!!! :)
Rob
Private Pilot SEL
FRG
Tecnam Eaglet

@RobertCigliano on Twitter
The New Pilot PodBlog Podcast
@NewPilotPodBlog on Twitter
http://thenewpilotpodblog.com

Sven

Postby Sven » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:25 pm

Every time I read another "first solo" story it takes me immediately back to mine. Thanks so much for sharing your amazing story with us, Andrew. It helps us old men and women maintain the awe and wonder of what we do regularly. Thankfully, for many of us, we still look out that window after rotation and think, "I'm flying. I'm really flying!" You have now accomplished something only a small percentage of humans have done. You have piloted an airplane. Congratulations!
Flying a Mooney M20D. One of only 3 fixed-gear Mooney aircraft still flying.

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Thanks Guys!
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Hey Guys, I've been gone off the forums for a while now but since I've been gone I got my Private Pilot's License last month and now am an aviation student at Purdue University! Many stories to come about the operations of a collegiate flight program!
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

13yopilotintraining

Postby 13yopilotintraining » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Congradulations Andrew!! :D
Any tips for me just starting off?

Return to “Listener Mail”