Many Thanks from a New Student Pilot

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
Kanuck

Many Thanks from a New Student Pilot

Postby Kanuck » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:15 pm

Hi Jack, Jeb and Dave

A huge thanks for your show!

I'm in my mid-40s now, but have dreamed of flying since I was a teenager. When I got my iPod last year, I went on the hunt for aviation podcasts, and your show is the only one I listen to. I've been a fan since about episode 14.

It is such a privilege, for those of us without the opportunity to hang out in the hangar with aviators, to eavesdrop on your conversation. It certainly keeps the desire to fly kindled; I'm sure I'm not alone.

Last Friday (March 7th) I took my first lesson towards my Private Pilot License (Canada) !!! Your online encouragement is greatly appreciated! I've set up a blog to share my experience with family and friends at http://slipthesurlybonds.blogspot.com/. I wanted to share it with you gents too... I know you get a charge out of hearing of those taking the leap to "get out and commit aviation!" (That put a huge smile on my face when I first heard it Dave!)

Is it true a bell rings every time a pilot gets his wings? Maybe I'm thinking of a Christmas favourite. 8-)

Thanks again for a great show. My wife and I are hauling the trailer to Oshkosh for another dream come true... AirVenture 2008!! I'll see you there and pass on my thanks in person!!

All the best.

Keith
Calgary, Alberta

Dave Higdon

Re: Many Thanks from a New Student Pilot

Postby Dave Higdon » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:48 pm

Keith, Keith, Keith -- So cool! Speaking for all of us, congrats on starting the process!!

Aside from always loving the news of another newby "committing aviation" it's particularly gratifying to hear we had any, however minute, role in the heading you've taken...You've picked the perfect time to start lessons, too, as winter gives way to spring...my best wishes for your rapid progress -- and cramming is so much more cost and learning efficient, it's my belief, that I always encourage student pilots -- primary, instrument, commercial, whatever -- to fly as often as possible. The training is more effective, which means fewer hours needed to finish, which means more bucks leftover for the real fun.

And GREAT to hear your plans to attend EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2008 (they love it when we conform to the EAA stylebook ;) )...you will find yourself in the presence of so many like-minded folks from all walks of life, you'll wonder why you waited so long -- but we know why...you struck out on this journey when the time was right -- and that's always the best time.

Hope to cross paths with you and get an update in person...I'm hard to catch but easy to spot -- yellow shirt, green mesh flightline vest, floppy tan hat, driving a green John Deere 'Gator loaded with camera gear...Oh, yeah -- with a beard...my shooting partner Phil fits the same description exactly, save for the whiskers...

Good luck, happy training -- and let us know how you progress! One tip: Be sure and wear a shirt you don't mind losing for the day when you solo...

Kanuck

Re: Many Thanks from a New Student Pilot

Postby Kanuck » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi Dave

Many thanks for the kind words!!!

We'll definitely keep an eye out for you at Oshkosh!! As for progress, I'm heading into Lesson 6. All the gory details on my 'committing aviation' are chronicled in the above-mentioned blog. :D

Take care!

Keith

Return to “Listener Mail”