iPad In the Cockpit

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
RigaRunner

iPad In the Cockpit

Postby RigaRunner » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:35 pm

CNN and Wired report that the FAA has approved use of the iPad in the cockpit of a charter jet service as a fully legal alternative to paper charts and approach binders.

See story here: http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/02/28/FAA.approves.iPads/

My question is, does this mean I can use my iPad during take-off and landing? I mean if the one in the cockpit is not interfering with the avionics on a commercial jet, surely mine in row 43 won't make a difference.

And, my second question: how long before this dispensation gets extended to me in my general aviation plane?

Last year at the Venice meet-up before Sun N' Fun, Jack had a brand-new iPad with ForeFlight installed on it, and even then it looked better than most of the electronic flight bags on the market.
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

Greg Bockelman

Re: iPad In the Cockpit

Postby Greg Bockelman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Charter Jet operation is a tad different than a major carrier.

RigaRunner wrote:
My question is, does this mean I can use my iPad during take-off and landing?

Not unless the airline says you can.

I mean if the one in the cockpit is not interfering with the avionics on a commercial jet, surely mine in row 43 won't make a difference.

Yeah, but that isn't the point. I can't speak to all the whys and why nots but it isn't that simple.

And, my second question: how long before this dispensation gets extended to me in my general aviation plane?

There is no prohibition against you using it on a Part 91 flight.

Return to “Listener Mail”