Tornado and building collapse at S'n'F!

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
gmarshall

Tornado and building collapse at S'n'F!

Postby gmarshall » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:16 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/31/florid ... 1&iref=BN1

Here's hoping that everyone's ok down there at Lakeland!

After that, hopefully most of the airplanes were tied down well.

As far as vendor's booths go, I'm imagining they didn't fare so well.

gmarshall

Re: Tornado and building collapse at S'n'F!

Postby gmarshall » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:39 pm

Sounds less serious than initially reported, looks like it was a tent, not a building, and 7 people were transported to hospital for injuries, not 70 people trapped.

Some photos of overturned planes posted to twitter, but no solid information that I've seen.

Again, I hope the injuries turn out to be minor, and that everyone's insurance was paid up... :-/

turbo

Postby turbo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:48 pm

my stomach is still hurting from this event. just got home by car and it is a disaster. thoughts and prayers to all involved

http://gallery.mac.com/edarcy#100443&bgcolor=black&view=grid

summers s. windsor, ct/ winters stuart, fl RV-6/ R-44 / Gyroplane "The government is a body of people notably ungoverned." Image

ATC_Ben

Postby ATC_Ben » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:36 pm

OWWW!

Thoughts to all down there, that's a right mess!

Now if only this was an April Fools joke.... :roll:
Caelus latus sursum

champguy

Postby champguy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:19 pm

Now I'm glad I've been at home with a cat in my lap.
We all hate to see things get bent, and feel for the folks who have to pick up the pieces and take them home for salvage.
A couple of years ago I was tied down out in the open at OSH, drank a bit, woke up the next morning to find everything soaking wet. Still don't know what happened, but I do sleep better after a nightcap.
The subject of tie downs should come up. We all know the common doggie augers are simply not adequate, and there were pictures of some hanging from an upside down amphibian.
Like to know if "The Claw" did much better, or if it was really just where and how the gusts hit and if anything was going to help in conditions this severe.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:22 am

I was wondering the same thing, ChampGuy. I've not yet invested in tie downs and I'm about to get "The Claw." I was looking over the photos of the damage and noticed the doggie corkscrews and a lot of plastic yellow rope. I understand that there's no way even "real" tie downs with chains and cement anchors will prevent a tornado from lifting a plane. But I am wondering, too, which tie downs held better.

I'm also wondering what other advice those that were in the maelstrom might give.

I was at Sploshkosh this year when the storms rolled through and could not imagine the nightmare of having a tornado roll through.

Glad everyone was "safe."
Flying a Mooney M20D. One of only 3 fixed-gear Mooney aircraft still flying.

champguy

Postby champguy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:32 am

I'm using an older version of the flyties. Quite happy with it.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/p ... lyties.php
This version can also be used as chocks, but you should really have chocks as well when tieing down.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/p ... ownkit.php
IMHO tiedowns should be directly under the point of attachment, and snug enough to keep movement to a minimum. Nilon has some stretch to minimise shock loads, and wheel chocks prevent the plane from mooving and adding additional stress.
Your thirty grand plane you may be able to lose, but the three hundred grand plane it lands on...
You know lawyers will be involved. Have you ever seen how deep the carpets are in a high end lawyer's office?
Main thing, like anything else, do your best, and buy good insurance.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Landis

Postby Landis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:50 am

Wow, those are some incredible pictures Turbo - thanks for sharing. And some great reporting from the UCAP guys as well as all the other aviation news outlets. Really glad no one was too badly hurt. It sucks, but aircraft can be fixed or replaced.

Now, might anyone consider that there is both Sun and Fun in somewhere like San Diego but also a distinct lack of things like tornadoes?

pilot4prophet

Postby pilot4prophet » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:51 pm

I was listening to one of the S-N-F short dailies and heard Amy Labota claim that "the claw" had no failures. That's just not true. I saw pictures of several aircraft that had been blown free of their tiedowns with the claw clearly dangling from the ropes. The yellow Zenith 750 (with the checkerboards on the slats), the Aircams, and a few others. When the ground gets soft and waterlogged with 100mph winds, it's hard to keep anything down.

ATC_Ben

Postby ATC_Ben » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:14 pm

pilot4prophet wrote:I was listening to one of the S-N-F short dailies and heard Amy Labota claim that "the claw" had no failures. That's just not true. I saw pictures of several aircraft that had been blown free of their tiedowns with the claw clearly dangling from the ropes. The yellow Zenith 750 (with the checkerboards on the slats), the Aircams, and a few others. When the ground gets soft and waterlogged with 100mph winds, it's hard to keep anything down.

When you are talking tornados I doubt even dyna-bolts into the tarmac would have helped much!
Caelus latus sursum

Return to “Listener Mail”