290 Days Later...

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
bfergie10

290 Days Later...

Postby bfergie10 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:07 am

...and I'm a Private Pilot!

I passed my checkride this past Sunday. It didn't really sink in though until tonight when I took up my first passenger. Even after Darrel Waltrip's pilot and a few other NASCAR pilots were congratulating me on Sunday. I just happened to take my checkride at Martinsville, VA, where the race was this past weekend. It turned out to be a really fun day getting to see all the jets and helicopters at the small town airport.

I had hoped to get the checkride done a week or so earlier but weather had postponed it. My wife and I had planned on going down to Sun-N-Fun. That seemed like an appropriate way to dry the ink on my temporary certificate. I guess it's okay we missed it though. Who knows what would have happened to us and the plane had we been there for the bad weather day. No worries, I'll shoot for OSH this summer instead!

My 290 days weren't without some bumps along the way. My first instructor didn't work out for me, but I ended up with a really good instructor that taught me very well. I also had a two month hiatus from flying that just so happened to coincide with a two month gap in employment after I lost my job. Things always turn out for the best though, even if takes a little longer. Now I'm looking forward to enjoying my plane and my new privileges as a private pilot.

-Bryan

edit: I forgot to mention that the day I took the checkride was also my 7th anniversary. My wife was kind enough to let me go that day. Her husband was also kind enough to buy her some nice jewelry so I think we're even. She has been very supportive through it all. I'm very lucky!

Landis

Re: 290 Days Later...

Postby Landis » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Congratulations Bryan! Welcome to the club. I'm really glad your perseverance paid off. And your wife sounds like a really great partner - keep her involved as much as possible.

ATC_Ben

Re: 290 Days Later...

Postby ATC_Ben » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:35 pm

Well done! Now go forth and explore!
Caelus latus sursum

Return to “Listener Mail”