Instrument Rating Training

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
Flyer333

Instrument Rating Training

Postby Flyer333 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:44 am

Hello UCAPers,
I'm starting my IR training next week. I purchased Sporty's online IR course and currently going through it. I'll also be logging some time in the RedBird TD II simulator that my local school owns. The actual flying will be conducted in a 2008 C172SP Nav III (G1000). Any training related tips or pointers will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Fahad
Private Pilot
Home Airport OETH
flyer333 on Twitter & Mytransponder.com
theflyer333 on YouTube
http://www.theflyercast.com

joemurffy

Re: Instrument Rating Training

Postby joemurffy » Mon May 16, 2011 7:12 pm

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

One product I used years ago, and it still available, is Elite's Virtual CFII ( https://www.flyelite.com/?page_id=953&shopp_pid=12 ). It is $99 and I guarantee that you can buy this and a set of computer yoke and rudder pedals, and come out ahead after you save time actually in the plane because you'll show up prepared. The syllabus followed the Jeppessen IR lesson plans, more or less, so by the time I showed up for a lesson I had already practiced it multiple times at home. My instructor loved it! Oh, you do need a PC to run it on, but it installs everything you need.

No, I don't work for Elite. :-)

- Joe Murphy
Joe Murphy - KPMV

N4706E / N115CC "Circus, Circus"
'51 Aeronca Champ 7CCM / '79 Bellanca Super Viking
'Once you fly fabric, you won't settle for metal.'

RigaRunner

Re: Instrument Rating Training

Postby RigaRunner » Fri May 27, 2011 10:29 pm

The other thing I would recommend is what the U.S. military pilots call "chair flying."

Once you have a particular IFR approach in your local area figured out (that is, you understand the approach plate and perhaps have flown it once with your instructor), then sit in a chair, close your eyes, and fly it. Sit in the chair just like you were in your airplane, from engine start through landing -- reach out for each control, and "fly" the entire flight including turns, control inputs, speed and heading changes, etc. Go through all the motions. Even use a stopwatch to time things, if that helps.

When I was having difficulty envisioning the holds (you know: parallel, direct and teardrop) and their positions relative to the runway, a friend took me to an open field, put out fertilizer sacks to designate the VOR's and airports, a 2x4 to indicate the wind angle, and had me walk through the entire hold and approach for each wind direction and arrival direction. As I walked through it, I called out what I was doing or pretending to do, like "flaps fifty percent!" or "airspeed 90 knots!"

The idea is to "chair fly" the approach so many times, with so many wind directions, that the various moves and compass points become almost instinctive. Certainly, you will become accustomed to the flows and checklists required to "stay ahead of the airplane."

When you go back to the simulator or the airplane, you'll make good use of your (expensive) time in them.
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

Return to “Listener Mail”