Budget bird of the week

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
ebrendan

Re: Budget bird of the week

Postby ebrendan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:26 pm

I've been thinking about Champs for awhile. Most of my flying is done within about 100NM of my home airport. I've also been looking at the American Champion line up (the one on the cover of the April 2008 AOPA Pilot), the Aviat Husky and the Cub Crafters.

Perhaps you can she some light on this. I'm looking for something that is both LSA certified and IFR certified. Any suggestions? Are there others I should be looking at?
Last edited by ebrendan on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brendan Reynolds
Pilot, KFRG Farmingdale NY

champguy

Postby champguy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:42 am

If you want something IFR you are in the land of big bucks, new equipment, and professional maintenance.
Among the golden oldies my 7ccm was the last year they made the weight cut for sport pilot. And thats with no electrical system. I love my champ but I also love, and live with, its limitations.
The Light Aircraft Manufacturers Association has a web site you should check out,
http://www.sportpilot.org/resources/lama.html
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:09 pm

ebrendan wrote:I've been thinking about Champs for awhile. Most of my flying is done within about 100NM of my home airport. I've also been looking at the American Champion line up (the one on the cover of the April 2008 AOPA Pilot), the Aviat Husky and the Cub Crafters.

Perhaps you can she some light on this. I'm looking for something that is both LSA certified and IFR certified. Any suggestions? Are there others I should be looking at?

Interesting idea...and from what the chairman of LAMA tells me, IFR and LSA are not mutually exclusive...you can have an LSA that's instrument equipped and if the gear is approved, you can technically fly IMC in an LSA...with caveats: You must be an instrument-rated pilot of at least the private level...Sport Pilot certificate does not qualify a person for even night flying...but a private pilot in a properly equipped LSA can legally fly night and, according to Dan Johnson, IMC...

Maintenance requirements and who is qualified to work on that LSA is not changed by it being equipped for night or IMC...

So you can, in theory, have your LSA and Instruments, too...and I've even heard reports of the FAA and the ASTM and LSA community working on IFR standards for LSAs for use by properly trained and qualified pilots...but right now, using LSA for IFR is frowned upon because it more or less flies in the face of the FAA's intentions when the agency approved the existing concensus standards three years ago...

Dan's Web site has tons of LSA stuff, too, including locations where you can rent or get instruction and maintenance and maintenance training to qualify you to do at least the annual condition inspection...www.bydanjohnson.com.

And in the interest of full disclosure, Dan's school in Chattanooga, Tenn., is where I learned to hang glide in 1977...Dan gave me my first ultralight check-out...and we've been close friends for, well, going on 31 years...but he is an acknowledged expert on LSA, a former LSA editor for EAA and has been involved in this stuff since the mid-1970s...oh, yeah, he's also a commercial-rated pilot and CFI...

champguy

Postby champguy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:41 pm

Sport pilot is the best thing since sliced bread, but it is what it is. Flying for fun.
You want IFR, you want a plane that flys like a truck and is built like a brick **** house. Useful transportation but not my idea of fun.
Maybe you need two planes.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “Listener Mail”