Your Thoughts on Spin Training

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
PilotBillFromTexas

Re: Your Thoughts on Spin Training

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:58 pm

Hey, you keep sucking it up and going back for more. That's a great thing. I think that it is awesome that you're already doing spins on your third lesson. No wonder you're a little freaked out.

When I think back on my flight training, really the way it works out is that you end up progressing from the initial sensory overload to the point where you are the master of the plane and not the other way around. I think that the FAA practical test standards actually say something about the applicant being in control and not being in doubt about what the airplane is going to do next.

rklutts

Postby rklutts » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:49 pm

On my first flight in a Mooney 201J for the complex checkout, I entered an unintentional spin on my first stall. WOW was that eye opening. From 20 degrees nose up to 45 degrees nose down and the left wing dropping way too fast due to my wrong input of right aileron, and it seemed we were flipping over on our back. Maybe not but it was intense. So after the CFI recovered and explained I went and did some spin training.

I was very nervous, but it helped knowing that the Super Decathalon was made for this sort of thing. So up we go and practiced stalls, spins, loops and inverted flight. Man is that too cool. Less nervous now, but I understand spins better. Well worth the money and time.

Ron

Punky

Postby Punky » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Well I'm more than half way through the IFR training and am doing commercial training at the same time.
Have not got to the spin stuff but I'm looking forward to it.

We were going to go out late last night (10pm), I asked him if we could do some spin stuff at night (figured it would be a blast to see Toronto city light flipping around), plus there's got to be some teaching benefit for it as well. Better yet - there were some actual cloud weather last night - doing spins in a cloud at night could have been interesting too.

Seems caution ruled out in the end; he told me we can't do that at night... dunno if that's a rule or if he's just being smarter than I am. Probably both haha.

Needless to say I'm comfortable with flying under instruments and a huge amount of my PIC time has been flying at night (I swear - you have to be a troll to live in this cold dark climate we call Canada).

Dave

Return to “Listener Mail”