BIG Update to the FP Software

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
Punky

BIG Update to the FP Software

Postby Punky » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:43 pm

Major update boys. Unfortunately it applies to Canada more than anyone else... But have no fear, US will be incorporated very soon.
The additional Canadian content refers to automatic FD downloading. The only reason I have not put the US in there, is I have not looked to see where I can get them from yet, but I will soon. If anyone can suggest a weblink which can show me a page of all the USA FD stations and their data (or pages if it's divided by region), then please pass it on.

The rather large release notes are below.

Apple released the second version of the iPhone/iPod Touch SDK yesterday. I predict it won't be long before there will be an iPhone version of the FP software for you to use.

Dave

Version 1.2.0 - March 28, 2008

*** Major Update ***

This version now supports downloading of FD data from the internet, no more typing in the winds for your flight plan... there are some conditions though...

In this version, I have only included the Canadian FDs (all of them). US FD data WILL be added in the near future, this is simply an early release of this function for testers.

On Program startup an prompt asks you if you want to download the FDs (if they are currently out of date). You only need to download FDs once per day, the rest of the time you can be disconnected from the internet. Downloading should take anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

When you enter the Flight Builder screen, if your FD data is up to date, you are asked if you want to use the automatic/downloaded FD data. For now US users should say NO, Canadian users should say Yes.

When using automatic FD data, your cruise lines will automatically recalculate on the fly as you type in altitudes.

As before, Altitudes are restricted to 3,000 to 9,000 for the wind calculations. This should continue to serve the average GA pilot, but there are plans to expand that range up to and into the flight levels.

When using the Automated FD data, the station assigned to the departure point is used for the calculation.

Your airport/way point database now has an extra field (wxStn) which is used for the FD data.

A weather station must be assigned to each of your way points (airports with their own FD forecasts are automatically assigned their correct weather station so long as the identifier matches).

To set up those assignments, simply go into the airport/way point screen, double click on the wp/airport to edit it. All of the downloaded weather stations are available via a dropdown box for assignment to your wp/airport. Assign it and simply click ADD to save it.

If a weather station can not be found for your departure wp in your flight plan (either unassigned or it does not exist in the download), the flight builder will revert to the original "manual" method of entering FDs.

Fixes:
When doing some airport lookups (for track finding), some airports would create an error. This has been fixed.
FD Transposing now supports special FD codes (eg. 9900, 5699, etc.).
There is now a menu option that will download the current FD data for all Canadian Stations (and display it).
Fixed a bug in the Airport/Way point screen that would cause an error when editing a way point/airport with truncated formatting of the Latitude or Longitude.
Force IDs in the Find Track screen to be upper case.
Dynamically fix Latitude and Longitude stored values to be fully formatted as they are looked up in the Way points/Airports screen, or the Find Track screen.

PilotBillFromTexas

Re: BIG Update to the FP Software

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:56 pm

Punky

Re: BIG Update to the FP Software

Postby Punky » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:43 pm

Thanks Bill.
Nope - they were for ordering charts or something... nothing to do with FDs (as far as I can tell anyhow).
But I did find it at
aviationweather.gov

Return to “Listener Mail”