VFR Routes to Vegas

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
mrsam3

VFR Routes to Vegas

Postby mrsam3 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:02 am

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to find out where to get VFR Routes from the East coast to Vegas? I heard the FAA published them at one time but don't know if they do anymore? I would like to stay below 10,000MSL. Thanks and love the podcast. And the punch line is....

Dave Higdon

Re: VFR Routes to Vegas

Postby Dave Higdon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:46 pm

Uh...you mean, a dedicated VFR Airways depiction aside from VFR charts? You may be able to plug in the O&D designators into some of the flight-planning programs around, such as AOPA's free one for members and print out something...otherwise, why not just get the charts? As for staying below 10,000 msl, well, depending on how far north you're starting from the East Coast, you're gonna have to do some detouring to the far south to find a winding way through where you can stay at or below 10K...otherwise, consider getting to Double Eagle Airport near ABQ and take the Victors from there to Vegas...

You can detour to the south to get into Double Eagle but believe you'll need to get higher than 10 for part of the leg fro there to Vegas...

champguy

Postby champguy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:01 pm

Longest journey starts with VISA Card and sectional, one hop at a time.
I actually use EAA flight planner and print out all the stops, make sure there will be fuel where I need it. You can go anywhere in the country like that.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:26 pm

Rinker Buck wrote a story about a flight he and his brother took from New Jersey to Southern California in a Cub when they were teenagers in the 1960's called FLIGHT OF PASSAGE: A TRUE STORY. He went into how they planned the route.

It's a really good read. He read part of his book on the Pilotcast podcast a while back.

BTW, the pilotcast guys just posted a new podcast after a long hiatus. It was a really good interview.
Attachments
Copy of image0.jpg
Copy of image0.jpg (193.07 KiB) Viewed 5385 times

champguy

Postby champguy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:24 pm

I'm so jealous, I can't even get the smiley faces to work, and now here is an attachment that scrolls up and down. Cool.
As for Vegas, I haven't been there since 1972 when I spent a week in a camp ground outside town waiting for unemployment checks to catch up with me so I could ride home to Boston on a '63 Triumph 650. Won't do that again.
The Buck account is a great read, especially for those of us suffering from A.D.S. (Arrested Development Syndrome)

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:11 pm

The hardest part of getting to Vegas VFR is the area between ABQ and, say, FLG. As I read the sectionals out that way, you can do it all at/below 10,000, just. In fact, getting to just of ABQ is pretty much a piece of cake. From there, it gets more rugged. Might need to get to 10,500 for a few miles.

The highest MEAs through there are around 13,000 feet, for a reason.

I would NOT go through that area when the winds aloft are honking. Just too treacherous and very little aircraft performance remains (non-turbo).

Going further south (ELP TUC PHX EED) might save you a little altitude, but will cost an extra day.

What are flying, anyway? Keep us posted...

Jeb

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:12 am

(adding...)

If you have no mountain-flying experience, I'd advise extreme caution about attempting such a trip. Between ABQ and Vegas, you'll have to stop somewhere for gas. Field elevations are rather high, which means giving extra thought to your leaning, mixture management, density altitude and the airplane's (lack of) performance.

Further, I'd advise planning takeoffs west of ABQ only in the early morning or late afternoon (and strongly would advise against going through there VFR at night, at least the first time). Watch the weather. Remember: Cloud heights are reported in agl. You have to add that value to the field elevation to get the clouds' msl altitude.

For a first-timer, if you have a decent cross-country machine (at least 200 hp, non-turbo) and stay light, you shouldn't have too much trouble. If you're flying a ragged out Skyhawk with three people and all the bags you can fit, it'll get interesting. If so, and the winds are +20 knots at altitude, somewhere between ABQ and FLG you'd pay real money for a turbo.

Oh, and stop in at INW any day but Monday, when the cafe is closed. Get some self-serve gas, a piece of pie and a "Standing on a corner..." sweatshirt. Yustabee, anyway.

HTH, and good luck. Keep us posted.

Jeb

champguy

Postby champguy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:38 pm

Don't let the pros scare you off, but do listen carefully to the issues of heat, altitude, and winds aloft. The nice thing about a VFR cross country is that you have spent so much less on the plane you can afford to have a good time at a Motel with a pool. Be there every afternoon. Let the pros suffer in the heat, turbulance, headwinds and thin air.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:42 pm

Jeb and I en trailed the trip to North Vegas a few years ago...3AU (Augusta, KS) to AEG (Double Eagle II in Albuquerque) for fuel, then from there to VGT (North Las Vegas)...in January, if I remember correctly...with Jeb in his 285-horse Debbie, me in my 180-horse Comanche...Issues of heat and density altitude are proportional to other places as high and hot...Common (pilot) sense will see you through. Day VFR strongly recommended for first timers -- not that Day IFR offers any additional protection in the event of getting forced down for whatever...flight following is a great asset for those not legal to file IFR (and that includes IR who are out of currency...)

But don't t let it overly intimidate anyone...other than the DA issues, the airplane positively does no know or care where it is, so it won't get nervous, anxious or distracted by the terrain. And the trip is gorgeous...

My last hand off, to Vegas approach, had me still east of the mountains about 20 miles, after dark, with the mountains ahead edge-lighted by the neon of Vegas...and when I cleared the mountains, man, breathtaking -- and a relief...it had been a long, long day...but it was worth it and won't hesitate to do it again.

Prep right, prep smart, know your own limitations; as Dirty Harry might say -- pilots "got to know" the limitations on skill and experience...and then move the bars forward by tacking on new skills and experiences.

FWIW...

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:13 am

Dave and I did that trip in fracking January. Quite a bit different than this time of year and a whole lot different than, say, in a couple of months.

FYI/FWIW/YMMV...

Jeb

Return to “Listener Mail”