An old game my teacher used to play, called...

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
etterre

An old game my teacher used to play, called...

Postby etterre » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:49 pm

How to lose friends and alienate people...
http://macsblog.com/2012/06/is-ga-transportation-flying-dead/

I've thought for a while now that there's a gap between those who "fly themseves for fun" and those who "fly themselves to go places." I'm definitely in the "fly myself for fun" camp, mostly because I, as a computer programmer, don't have the sort of job that lends itself to taking off often enough or long enough to do family trips by GA. I also don't do business flying, since the once a year business trip that I'd take would be visit a client site in another major city.

So what sort of jobs (besides magazine editor :twisted: ) lend themselves to business flying in a piston single?

Tinytall

Re: An old game my teacher used to play, called...

Postby Tinytall » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:54 pm

etterre wrote:How to lose friends and alienate people...
http://macsblog.com/2012/06/is-ga-transportation-flying-dead/

I've thought for a while now that there's a gap between those who "fly themseves for fun" and those who "fly themselves to go places." I'm definitely in the "fly myself for fun" camp, mostly because I, as a computer programmer, don't have the sort of job that lends itself to taking off often enough or long enough to do family trips by GA. I also don't do business flying, since the once a year business trip that I'd take would be visit a client site in another major city.

So what sort of jobs (besides magazine editor :twisted: ) lend themselves to business flying in a piston single?

I, too, am in the software industry, but am the one who teaches others how to use software. In my experience, my travels have afforded me the chance to fly myself to customer locations to perform my training sessions, and although now an aircraft owner, I haven't yet had the opportunity to do so. One of the main reasons is cost. The customer is paying for my travel, so they're going to want a less expensive method and, using economy of scale, airliners are more economical to them. However, I've spoken with a few folks and believe that I can seek compensation for my flight up to the comparable cost to fly out to the customer. I also figure in any additional benefits to my flying to them such as less fuel (for the rental car) if I fly to an airport closer to the customer (usually hospitals) or reduced vehicle mileage, driving to a local airport instead of the airports to fly the airlines.

That said, as a programmer, I assume you don't get that much opportunity to travel for business. Do you go to trade shows for your business (either as a presenter, or as an attendee)? Maybe rent (or fly your own if that's the case) and see if your employer can cover costs up to the equivalent of buying an airline ticket and then cover the rest yourself. It's a hell of an opportunity to get a little money back for a flight. Remember, you CAN get reimbursement for the cost of flying to an event by your company (if they agree to do so). One other "benefit" you can present to your employer is to fly other employees with you to the event. Calculate the cost to fly each of you on an airline and compare to the cost of you flying them down. You just can't get paid (IN ADDITION) as the pilot for flying to the event.

If you try hard enough, you might just be able to find more reasons! Like everything else, hard work pays off.

Good luck and happy flying no matter what your reasons may be.

-Tinytall
Manchester, NH
States I've landed and taken off:

PilotBillFromTexas

Re: An old game my teacher used to play, called...

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:53 pm

I was just watching a new program on the Discovery Channel called "airplane repo" and one of the people is a woman in florida who is an airplane appraiser who scouts out the Florida airports looking for airplanes that are up for repossession. They show her driving from airport to airport. That seems like a no-brainer activity for a GA airplane.

Return to “Listener Mail”