Listener question - 'the little things'

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
mbuto

Listener question - 'the little things'

Postby mbuto » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:29 pm

All,

Turns out one of the things they may not teach you in flight school is cold weather operations. How to de-ice, how to start the engine when its cold, etc. Today, I learned AFTER I cancelled my flight, that after a few shots of primer, you're close to flooding the engine. Starting with the mixture full lean would have done the trick.

This leads to the big question - is there a book out ther filled with these little things that you never see in flight training? Is this a good subject for a UCAP segment?

Cheers,

Mike

RigaRunner

Re: Listener question - 'the little things'

Postby RigaRunner » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:07 pm

I will only tell you that for all their fantastic engineering, Cirrus airplanes are notoriously hard to start when hot. The standard (non-turbo) engine floods simply because the pilot sits down in the left seat. It will remain flooded until hell freezes over or dinner is cold, whichever comes first.

Among Cirrus pilots, there is a lot of lore about how to start a hot engine, but it seems to reflect what you are saying: do not over prime, and in fact, lean the engine. My own procedure is throttle full on, mixture at idle cut off. Turn the key, and when the engine coughs, reverse both levers just in time and enough to keep the engine running.
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

mbuto

Postby mbuto » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Ha! But I'll bet you didn't learn that out of the Cirrus manual.

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:01 am

I absolutely agree, starting a Cirrus's engine hot is pretty much one of the more difficult things to do. I fly at Purdue University and we use a fleet of SR-20-G/GTS and these planes fly constantly all day. I have the first flight slot of the day at 7:30AM so I am blessed to have a cold engine to work with everyday which is pretty easy to start as long as you don't flood the engine. When I sign up for additional slots, usually in the afternoon, I find myself with a extremely hot engine and a real challenge ahead of myself to get it going. Cirrus sat down with the university when they bought the fleet and formulated a checklist that would cover everything and is geared towards hot engines and constant flying and starting of these planes. I'm not sure if the hot start checklist is the same as the manual's but here is how we do things and it seems to work almost every time.

Hot Start:
Throttle Open 1/4 Inch
Batt1/2 on Individually
Strobes
Keys in Ignition
Mixture full forward
Area clear
Starter engage; then fuel pump boost
then reduce 1000 RPM
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

champguy

Postby champguy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:04 pm

"Hot Starting"
Even two planes of the same model will have differences with how hot, how the idle mixture is set, density altitude and humidity, and who shut it down last.
My Champ, with no electrical system is a pussy cat to start when cold. Plenty of prime and just enough throttle to make a kind of wet sucking sound as you pull it through. Hot mags and off it goes at an easy low idle.
When hot it seems always flooded. No prime and more throttle. How much? Well not enough to jump the chocks, and it springs to life with a full throated roar that has you stepping well clear.
Mags off, throttle full, pulling it through backwards about ten blades seems to clear the beast, then close the throttle and try again with just enough extra throttle for about eleven hundred RPMs. Works every time.
If that doesn't work, find a big rock to tie it to.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “Listener Mail”