Postby ruckin » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Wow the latest callback is all about UAV and the things that go wrong :shock:

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/publications/callback.html

Spooky.

Ruckin

msawhill

Re: Callback #397 - is about UAVs

Postby msawhill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:55 pm

Interesting read. It's certainly not difficult to spot the trend in these reports.

I'm interested to see what (if any) downstream repercussions there are for UAV owners, operators, and builders as a result of violating an ATC clearance in normal airspace. When a GA pilot busts a clearance, ATC provides a phone number to call after landing. Things aren't so simple with unmanned systems.

M

cozy171bh

Re: Callback #397 - is about UAVs

Postby cozy171bh » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:44 am

Folks,

This is a serious issue and I encourage everyone to read this issue of the NASA ASRS CallBack as the previous post suggested:

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/docs/cb/cb_397.pdf

It appears that the FAA is far behind the regulatory power curve with respect to maintaing some kind of control on these systems, although I will defer to the UCAP Gang's inside connections with the folks in DC.

We cannot function in a system where UAV pilots are unaware of ATC protocol and act unilaterally in the same airspace as manned aircraft. How soon will local law enforcement send up a UAV without regard to the local airspace only to have it collide with a GA or Part 121 aircraft? And I hear that realtors are salivating at the prospects of using UAVs to market property. Also, is it true that various states and municipalities are setting their own regulations for use of the airspace above them for UAVs? We're looking at a potential mess folks.

Brian....

Return to “Listener Mail”