NexGen support for GA...yes, no, maybe???

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
SkiandflyUtah

NexGen support for GA...yes, no, maybe???

Postby SkiandflyUtah » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:40 pm

I received an FAAST Blast on 1/29/14 that stated:

NextGen GA Fund to Allow Pilots Financing Option for Upgrades
To help pilots with the cost of outfitting their aircraft with the latest NextGen technologies, a new financing option will soon be available. Known as the NextGen GA Fund, this public/private partnership formed between the U.S. Congress, the aerospace industry, and the private investment community will help modernize the general aviation fleet. The NextGen GA Fund will finance NextGen installations using stipulated equipage families to include WAAS-capable GPS, ADS-B In, ADS-B Out, RNAV/RNP avionics, data communications, SWIM, flat panel displays, antennas, electronic components, instrument panel modifications, installation and certification costs. For more information, go to http://www.nextgenfund.com/. The specifics on how to access the funding are expected later this spring.

I began to salivate and then on 1/30/14 I received the following "correction":

Correction:
We need to clarify the NextGen GA Fund item published in the FAAST Blast sent on Jan 28, 2014. The 2012 Reauthorization allows the FAA to engage in a public-private partnership, but because the FAA does not have appropriation authority to do so at this time, no such program currently exists. We regret the error and apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

Hmmmm....I haven't been this turned around since Betty Joe Bioloski first said ohh baby, YES, and then said NO in the back seat of a '57 Chevy :?

Scofreyjet

Re: NexGen support for GA...yes, no, maybe???

Postby Scofreyjet » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:16 am

I see that the website is still there talking about the bright and shiny future of the fund. Not sure what to make of this...
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

champguy

Postby champguy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:31 pm

The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
Good thing they aren't pilots.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

SkiandflyUtah

Postby SkiandflyUtah » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:33 pm

Regarding ADS-B NextGen: I'm going to take the "Gone with the Wind" approach...

Scarlett: "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."

:?

SkiandflyUtah

Postby SkiandflyUtah » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:15 pm

Scofreyjet wrote:I see that the website is still there talking about the bright and shiny future of the fund. Not sure what to make of this...

I just love it when you click on the Financing Details tab you get this statement: "The NextGen GA Fund's capital is easy to apply for. Financing terms are attractive and highly competitive compared with conventional financing alternatives. Terms will vary for each applicant and are arrived at using commercially accepted consumer lending standards.".

That's not "details", that's just -- as I've heard occasionally on this podcast...Blowing Snow!

Oh, well hopefully they'll have their shit together before the 2020 time-frame but I'm becoming skeptical.

cozy171bh

Postby cozy171bh » Fri May 09, 2014 11:51 pm

Just read an article on AvWeb that makes a case for moving to ADS-B sooner rather than later. It also points to 2019 as a potentially good time to buy an aircraft, or maybe a second?

http://www.avweb.com/news/features/ADS- ... 955-1.html

Return to “Listener Mail”