DUATS Under Threat?

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
cozy171bh

DUATS Under Threat?

Postby cozy171bh » Sat May 24, 2014 12:03 pm

The DUATS Flyer in the June issue of AOPA Pilot states that DUATS i under threat of FAA cancellation. The flyer encourages readers to go to their website to learn more and contact their congressman. However, when I went to www.duats.com to learn more about the issue, there appears to be no information on the topic. My guess is that between the deadline for submission of the DUAT Flyer to AOPA for publication, and the distribution of current issue, perhaps the threat had been resolved. Anyone have any information on this?

A key point here is that even if you don't routinely use DUAT in your flight planning, your DUAT account may nevertheless be active in the background in some third party flight planning tools.

PilotBillFromTexas

Re: DUATS Under Threat?

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sun May 25, 2014 1:19 pm

I had my Duat account information in Foreflight in order to file fight plans because that was the only way it would work when I set it up a couple of years ago. Foreflight would send the flight plan info to Duat or Duats who would in turn pass that info on to Lockheed Martin. I went to a safety presentation given by a LockMart briefer and learned that Duat was truncating the info that it would send to Lockmart. He said that Lockmart worked with Foreflight so that once the Duat info came over, they could get the complete data set directly from Foreflight. That's one way to do it.

If you go into the Foreflight settings and delete your Duat login info then you can still file flight plans but now they just go directly to Lockmart. I did that and now another button appeared on my iPad. I can now activate the flight plan directly in foreflight. I have not yet tried that trick.

Lockmart has a pretty good website with wx and flight plan functionality.

So, what do we need Duat/Duats for anymore?

I'm not crazy about the idea that the info that I'm putting into a flight plan for good reason was potentially not being passed on or not being passed on in a timely manner to the people who might have to come looking for me if I don't show up per the flight plan.

cozy171bh

Re: DUATS Under Threat?

Postby cozy171bh » Sat May 31, 2014 12:19 am

Good stuff Pilot Bill. For those who have Foreflight, I think your approach is worth trying. I do not have Foreflight, so I rely on web-based DUAT for weather and the AOPA planner for flight planning and filing. A bit old school, but I will catch up with the iPad eventually.

Return to “Listener Mail”