DC-3/ C-47 On Ebay

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
rcigliano

DC-3/ C-47 On Ebay

Postby rcigliano » Mon May 12, 2008 2:42 pm

Check this out.

A DC-3 was up for aution on Ebay with a Buy It Now price of $88,000.00. The aution ending with the reserve price not met after 31 bids. The last bid was for $50,100.00.

Maybe Steven Tupper from Airspeed could bid on it if it comes up again since he is going for his DC-3 SIC type rating.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0244737479

Rob
Student pilot from KFRG.
Rob
Private Pilot SEL
FRG
Tecnam Eaglet

@RobertCigliano on Twitter
The New Pilot PodBlog Podcast
@NewPilotPodBlog on Twitter
http://thenewpilotpodblog.com

Dave Higdon

Re: DC-3/ C-47 On Ebay

Postby Dave Higdon » Tue May 13, 2008 6:08 pm

Wow...can't believe it didn't go at that price...but...

Unless you're trying to fly freight, this bird requires a lot of work to put it in shape for anything else...

Hell, you could probably make money parting out the engines, nacelle's, etc...except...

Over the years my wheels have touched down at three or four fields with DC-3/C-47 airframes waiting on the "right" market to get them out of retirement; most of 'em have wound up parted out since...piecemeal, too, so they have a strangely sad appearance that gets sadder with every visit.

Still a workhorse with great potential...but even it's great potential has been economically neutered by newer birds that can replace it with more flights and still cost much less...and with a single-pilot...

Alas...it needs someone who will appreciate its history and who doesn't have to worry about the economics...

Dave

rcigliano

Postby rcigliano » Thu May 15, 2008 3:37 pm

Dave

Hopefully a museum or collector will pick her up.

Rob
Rob
Private Pilot SEL
FRG
Tecnam Eaglet

@RobertCigliano on Twitter
The New Pilot PodBlog Podcast
@NewPilotPodBlog on Twitter
http://thenewpilotpodblog.com

StephenForce

Postby StephenForce » Wed May 28, 2008 8:01 am

She looks like a great airplane, too! Having 2.8 hours in Dan Gryder's 'three, I can tell you that the three is a wonderful aircraft. It taxis like a house, but it's wonderful to fly and great to land.

I'm only a lottery hit away from ownership. Which is not to be flip about it. If I had the means, I'd get one in a heartbeat. The mere profile of a 'three against the sky gets my heart beating a little faster.

The purchase price is a mere ante in the game of DC-3 ownership. For example, there's a vulcanized rubber toroid about a foot in diameter that's necessary to actuate the brakes. When you can get one, it goes for about $3K. You can't get one. They don't make them anymore. And, if you blow one, you have a hangar (or ramp) queen until you can find one. Dan and other guys like him have cast-iron innards to take the financial risk and the time to own, love, and operate these aircraft.

But cruising cross country with the Georgia woods slowly disappearing beneath your wings is sublime.

And realizing on your third trip around the pattern at an airport that people are pulling off the road at the approach end of the runway to see you land . . . Yeah, that happens. It happened to me. I'll never, ever forget that.

I hope that this and other 'threes continue to fly for a long, long time.

Contact information for Dan and the course I did follows, in case anyone's interested.

Dan Dryder
147 Sky Harbor Way
Griffin, Ga 30223
678-688-7069
Email: contact@thedc-3network.com

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Wed May 28, 2008 9:14 am

That was a great podcast, BTW.

Weren't a bunch of DC-3's converted over to turbine engines and put to service in the Caribbean and South America?

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Fri May 30, 2008 4:31 pm

PilotBillFromTexas wrote:That was a great podcast, BTW.

Weren't a bunch of DC-3's converted over to turbine engines and put to service in the Caribbean and South America?

Agree, Bill...Steve's DC-3 made for a great 'cast...

Meanwhile, you're correct about the turbine conversion: Our old friends at Wittman Regional in Oshkosh, Basler Turbo Conversions, part of the FBO, Basler Air Service; the put on a pair of Pratt & Whitney Candada PT-6A engines, and more...gives the old Douglas a huge increase in payload...among other things...

Dave

Return to “Listener Mail”