Vans RV-14

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
AirportDude

Vans RV-14

Postby AirportDude » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:14 pm

Went to a local fly-in today in Georgia, Wrens Memorial Airport (65J). Saw my first RV-14!

Beautiful aircraft, could have rolled off the assembly line just like a Cirrus or Cessna 350. All glass cockpit, LED everything, metal fleck paintjob, the works!!

IMG_4838.JPG
Vans RV-14
IMG_4838.JPG (123.76 KiB) Viewed 899 times
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

bruceh

Re: Vans RV-14

Postby bruceh » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:48 am

They are really nice and quite the update from the RV-7/RV-9. (I built and fly an RV-9A). If I were to build another Van's, I'd seriously consider the RV-14. Just a skosh more room, but the lower fuselage longerons make getting in and out, plus visibility much better. The tip-up canopy also has hidden struts which make ingress/egress easier. It's not a whole lot wider, but a few inches makes a huge difference. I got to sit in the RV-14 several times (factory tour, Copperstate, Oshkosh). Also a bit more baggage room in the back. Lots of other improvements that make building one easier than a -7 or -9, including the full panel, pre-built harnesses, etc. This is the place in the build where you can easily get lost trying to figure out what to put in the airplane for engine/prop/avionics. I'd really like to fly one and see how the performance and economy stack up against my -9A.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H now FLYING!
http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project

Return to “Listener Mail”