Attitude indicator for night flying

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
Greg Bockelman

Attitude indicator for night flying

Postby Greg Bockelman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:56 am

This one is for you, Dave.

You commented in one episode, and repeated it on another podcast where an attitude indicator was required for flight at night. I believe Jeb took you to task on that because there is no such requirement. At least not as far as I can find. The appropriate reg is 91.205(b) and (c). If you know of somewhere else it might be, I would like to know.

Dave Higdon

Re: Attitude indicator for night flying

Postby Dave Higdon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:09 pm

Greg -- Can't quibble with you or Jeb on this; believe you're both right -- as far as Part 23 goes, I can't challenge the info...I may have confused LSA requirements and may be wrong here, too...my only defense is I was repeating something told to me by an LSA importer who said an Attitude Indicator is required for night use of a light sport aircraft, per the ASTM standards...and having seen an AI in many LSA's with night lighting, probably confused me or induced ;) another 50s moment for me...

That said, if I was doing much night work, I'd sure want one, requirement notwithstanding...been over featureless terrain on moonless nights enough times to consider such conditions the equivalent of IFR 'cause there's no discernible horizon...but that's just me -- like all the help I can get in keeping track of attitude.

Dave

Return to “Listener Mail”