FliteTest

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
gmarshall

FliteTest

Postby gmarshall » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Have you guys been following the stuff that the guys over at FliteTest have been doing?

They started out doing Youtube reviews of RC airplanes and quads, then branched into selling some of their own designs. Beyond that, though, they've created some STEM curriculum stuff which they're trying to get out there to get kids involved in aviation at school. They've been getting more full sized aviation content in their videos, flying with Sean Tucker, Kirby Chambliss, some para motor content, etc.

Most impressive has been their FliteFest events. Think early days Oshkosh, but for RC. *Very* family oriented, much more inclusive than a lot of the higher end RC events (aerobatics contests, scale competition) that cater to fancier airplanes and pilots with more experience.

Take a gander at one of their videos if you have a few minutes time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DdI8VpJZQA

I really think getting kids excited in aviation needs to be a long term goal for gen-av organizations. Young Eagles is a great program, but anything involving flying full scale aircraft is simply cost prohibitive to most people in the end. If a kid wants to spend time flying, someone is footing that bill. If you can spend a year or two getting into aviation from the model hobby side, you can get by with just a couple hundred bucks.

I'd love to see you guys do an interview with one or more of the key people, to talk specifically about how they want to dovetail their content more into general aviation topics.

Scofreyjet

Re: FliteTest

Postby Scofreyjet » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:44 pm

I've been following the FliteTest YouTube channel for a while, although I'm sure I don't catch half of what they post. (I've been flying R/C almost twice as long as I've been flying full-scale.)

I did see some videos from one of their big events, which seemed very cool. They had space in the Drone Pavilion at OSH16 (maybe this year too, but I wasn't there) and they absolutely do some cool stuff.

I wasn't aware of the STEM program material - I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the nudge!
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

Return to “Listener Mail”