Oshkosh Lodging

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
jmd

Oshkosh Lodging

Postby jmd » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:05 am

Guys,

Late, Late, Late, I know. I am trying to make Airventure reservations. The flight I have taken of.

Any advice on trying to find a room for two people this late in the game? On the convention and visitors page there are private homes, which seems appealing, but does anyone have any experience with these? It is tough to tell the decent ones from the run down leaky room ones ;) Motel is an option as well if anyone has any pointers to past good experiences.

Thanks!
Jeff

Dave Higdon

Re: Oshkosh Lodging

Postby Dave Higdon » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:27 pm

Man, don't know where to start here, given the lead time available -- but will try.

Here's my first suggestion: See what -- if anything -- EAA's housing bureau might be able to do for you; they may still know of open motel or something in those homes you mentioned; although I've never heard a report of "run down leaky rooms" for those offered to the public, whole houses can be killer good deals for a group; single rooms for a couple of people are usually competitive and often fairly convenient -- if any are still available...

Next up -- it's a long shot, but check with the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh; UWOsh, as the locals call it, open up some of the dorms on campus, but many go to repeat users who will reserve for 2009 while staying there in 2008...

EAA runs shuttles around town and between the show and UWOsh, so getting to and from can be pretty painless...

Next up: Consider camping; Camp Scholler has its own stores, its own community feeling, and walking distance to the show areas...you can probably buy light camping gear locally...ship it home at the end of the show -- there's on-site shipping this year.

You might check around locally to see if there are others you know from your area who you might camp with; EAA apparently offers a way for people to secure contiguous camp spaces so an early arriver can have everything set for later-arriving groups...

Finally, again in the camping vein, check and see if anyone you know is flying in and camping with their plane -- and, if so, whether they'd mind you paying a share of the space to camp with them.

Or you can call around and see whether you can get on a waiting list for some of the motels and hotels...and roll the dice...

Good luck!

Dave

jmd

Postby jmd » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:40 pm

Thanks Dave! I will come say hi if I make it. Planning on attending your talks.

The airventure site lists the campus housing as wait list at this point. I think I am going to look a bit north and just drive daily. Its me and my Dad (retired non pilot) going.

Jeff

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:44 pm

Well, with a car, you've got the Appleton Options, so check up there...but if all else fails, you're car makes a great back-up shelter if you camp ;)

Hope to meet you at the show...whether at one of our casts, the Friday evening Podcast-A-Palooza, or at the Affordable Flight Center...

Have a safe trip...

Dave

jmd

Postby jmd » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:01 pm

Found a place! See everyone there.

We are going to stay near the seaplane base in a private home that is renting rooms.

Jeff

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:44 pm

Excellent, Jeff...Congrats!

Have some friends who've stayed over near Lake Winnebago for years...nice area...hope to see you there...

Dave

champguy

Postby champguy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:46 pm

You will probably do less walking than I do from Vintage Camping.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “Listener Mail”