Drone Event

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
cozy171bh

Drone Event

Postby cozy171bh » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:54 pm

Someone posted a video of a drone operating carelesssly and recklessly in the vicinity of a Frontier airbus on final to KLAS.

See here: https://www.cnet.com/news/drone-hovers- ... s-airport/

As a resident of Vegas and KLAS based airline pilot, I was able to identify the location of the encounter. From landmarks on the video, the Frontier A320 series jet was on final to 26L at about 3.1 NM from the runway threshold. The aircraft was in class B airspace, and a little rough geometry suggests that at a standard 3to 1 glide path (318 ft./NM) to the runway and a published threshold crossing height of 60 feet to a touchdown zone elevation of 2069 ft., the jet was about 1045 feet above the touchdown zone elevation and at 3115 ft. MSL.

Contrary to the statement in the CNET article that the operation was legal, this act was clearly within the 5 SM limitation for operating near an airport. Although the operator could have obtained approval from McCarran tower and Las Vegas TRACON, I suggest this is unlikely.

How the regulator will react is not yet known. It is reported that the FAA is investigating. Will there me more cases in the future?

Watch out!

Brian....

cozy171bh

Re: Drone Event

Postby cozy171bh » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Correction. I misread the article on CNET. They did not state that the event was legal.

Return to “Listener Mail”