Great show!

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
Tom T

Great show!

Postby Tom T » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:12 pm

Dave, Jeb and Jack
Just a quick note to say Happy New Year and keep up the good work. I started listening to your podcast earlier this year along with the Pilot Cast, the Finer Points and Airspeed, as a way to fill the time while traveling for work. I must say yours is still my favorite.

I'm a private pilot and building a RV-7A which should fly this year, then I plan on completing my instrument training.

Dave, I enjoyed the discussion about your stint as a RV builder and the group's discussion of the Van's Homecoming Flyin. Just so you know it has been several years since it was held at Van's home field. Van built a new factory at Aurora (KUAO) and the flyin has been held their for the past several years. However last year, due to commercial expansion on the field surrounding the factory it was decided to move it due to lack of parking.

Chapter 292 had decided to host a flyin in August and thru passing discussion with Tom Green (Vans General Manager) we discovered their desire to move the event and came to an agreement to hold it here a Independence, OR (7S5). The turnout was good considering short notice of the date change from Vans traditional Labor Day weekend, (we had approx. 125 planes show). We hope to host the event again this year and continue a great tradition.

By the way, one of my neighbors is a familiar name, Dave Martin (chapter newsletter editor) says Hi! Keep up the good work on the show and if any of the group comes to Oregon, we'd be happy to host guests on the airpark!

Tom Turnbull
292 Chapter Secretary

Here's a photo of the factory building, and if you check under Homecoming at Vansaircraft.com you will find more info on 2007.

Dave Higdon

Re: Great show!

Postby Dave Higdon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:51 pm

Thanks for the nice note, Tom! And please pass back my best to Dave Martin...not gonna get into how far back we go...but will admit we can both say about the other, "I knew him before..." ;)

Appreciate the update on Van's homecoming issues; haven't visited out there since early 1994 and knew Van had done some growing and moving, but was less familiar with the details.

And good luck and speedy success on your own RV project...never flown an RV I didn't like, to paraphrase Will Rogers, and doubt I ever will...let us know when you fly...and smart idea, to continue your aviation education with an instrument rating; won't repeat all you've no doubt been told about what the process does to your flying...but remember well the first time I was able to make a "Go" decision that a few days earlier would have been a "No Go" by default -- and seeing that runway at break out was -- and still is -- among the most satisfying experiences in aviation.

And if any of us happen to be headed Oregon way, well, been aching to see this field Dave's been so effusive about, as well as his new wings...

Happy aviating, Tom -- and thanks, as always, for making us part of your flying life!

Dave Higdon

Tom T

Postby Tom T » Thu May 29, 2008 11:27 pm

Dave, Jeb, and Jack,
I just wanted to give you all an update on several things.

First, the 2008 Vans Homecoming Flying will again be hosted at 7S5, Independence airport and EAA 292. We have posted the information on the EAAs national calendar, VansAirforce.net calendar, and the Vans Aircraft calendar. Please give us a shout out, we want this one to be a bigger than last year. Here's the link to our website for the registration information, http://www.eaa292.org/RVflyin/index.htm

Also, the NW Antique Aircraft Flyin is held the same weekend at KMMV, McMinnville airport which is about 25 miles away. Here's the link to their event http://www.nwaac.com/flyininfo.htm

I'm sure you know Dave Martin is in the process of building his RV-12 and has nearly completed the wings. This kit is really nice and the plane will go together quickly....

My RV-7A is moving along, with lots of wiring happening now. I hope to have an engine start by the end of August.

Thanks again to all of you for the podcast, it fills lot's of driving miles and helps meet my need for things aviation related during this time of high focus on finishing the build (not a lot of flying being done).
Tom T

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Fri May 30, 2008 4:27 pm

Absolutely know Dave Martin! One of the best...we first met about '82 when he was stringing for the old Glider Rider Magazine, where they employed me as staff writer...later, he helped me break in with Kitplanes...

And the dueling fly-ins sounds like a great weekend for anyone needing an excuse to get out and go flying...

Thanks for the info!

And do give my best to Dave...glad to hear he's moving along on the project.

Thanks!

Dave

Return to “Listener Mail”