commercial check ride

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
stonemanvideo

commercial check ride

Postby stonemanvideo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:55 pm

Well, today was a big day. I finaly got my Commercial Rotorcraft Certificate. I flew from Tulsa to Wichita to meet with Dr. Lay for my check ride. Last night I was a nervous wreck and was secretly hoping my car wouldn't start or something to keep me from having to go through this. It seemed like I had forgetten everything I had studied. But this morning, on the way to the airport (my car started fine) I sterted reciting everything I could remember. Amazingly, it all came back to me. On the flight to Kansas, I had an amazing peace that I am not about to try and save the world, I am just going for a check ride. People pass these things every day. I met Dr. Lay and was immediately relaxed and answering questions with ease. Before I knew it, I was shutting down the chopper while he was completing the final notes and it was over. I passed!
Dave, you mentioned Dr. Lay several episodes ago about the Safety Stand Down. This guy knows his stuff and couldn't have made me feel more comfortable.
My friends and family are tired of hearing about it, so I thought I would get on here and go on and on to people who have been there. Thanks for listening (or Reading)
Stoney

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: commercial check ride

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Congratulations! That's terrific!

When I took my private checkride (way back when), I was incredibly stressed out because it was the first test that I'd taken in over 20 years (and I wasn't very good at studying/test-taking even back when I was a kid). So now, as an adult, I was nearly frozen with anxiety about whether I was studying enough, effectively. I had no idea if I was ready. I had no experience in studying and test-taking to help me calibrate my efforts. So I was pretty stressed out about the whole thing.

Then, the night before my checkride (and this is a true story) I got a chinese fortune cookie that told me, "You will pass a difficult test that will make you happier." Really. I stuck that fortune onto the logbook page that had my checkride.

After reading that fortune I calmed down and went in the next day and aced the oral. (The flying part is another story, but it all ended well.)

So I saw something of my experience in yours.

-- Jack

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:14 pm

Congratulations!!

Now you can get paid to beat the air into submission.

stonemanvideo

Postby stonemanvideo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:20 am

Beat the air into submission. It makes me seem tough doesn't it? I love it. thanks!

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:07 pm

Stoney -- Can imagine the joy, pride and relief at the event...nothing more compelling to say other than a BIG CONGRATS!

And Dr. Lay is, in my view, an amazing character, between his work as a CFI/I and check airman for fixed and rotor wing, an EMT helicopter pilot, qualified EMT, graduate engineer and a Doctor...just stuns me, that guy.

Hope you have a long and fruitful career as a helicopter pilot!

Dave

stonemanvideo

Postby stonemanvideo » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:19 pm

Jack, that sounds like a cool story you should elaborate on during one of the future podcasts. (if you haven't already)
and Dave, as far as a fruitfull career, I have a career in tv news that I love. But I would love to blend the two together. That is what got me into helicopters in the first place. I went up as a photographer in our news helicopter for the first time, and was taking lessons a few short months later. 2 years later, I have the commercial rating. I thought to myself, it is cool to want to do something, but it is cooler to actualy go do it.

Thank you guys, (Jeb included) for the wonderful podcast. Even though you guys talk a lot about airplanes, you still have my attention. Who knows, I have a CFII fixed wing brother, a fixed wing add on sounds cool.
stoney

Return to “Listener Mail”