GA is scary. Channel 5 told me so.

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
NeedaMooney

GA is scary. Channel 5 told me so.

Postby NeedaMooney » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:13 am

I stayed up a little late to watch the 10:00 news on Channel 5 in Phoenix tonight, because they'd been teasing an "expose" over the past couple of days regarding security at the Glendale Municipal Airport (KGEU) during the NFC Championship game, which was played in Glendale at the University of Phoenix Stadium. The stadium sits about a mile to the east of the airport (apparently they did this same little story last year during the Super Bowl, but I missed it then).

Channel 5 sent a reporter to Glendale Municipal to wander the flight line during the NFC Championship. Glendale had a B-17 on static display that day, "Sentimental Journey," and the reporter was shocked, SHOCKED, to see "ordinary" people actually walking the flight line to get to the beautiful piece of history on display. He was further shocked and appalled that Glendale Municipal had scheduled the warbird weeks in advance of the Cardinals finding out that they would host the NFC Championship. He reserved his greatest outrage, though, for the five or so "private jets" that were idling with their engines "or APUs" running (I guess he wasn't sure which) after dropping off their "jetsetting passengers off to enjoy the game." He walked up to a Gulfstream with its stairway door open, and was again appalled and shocked at how these private airplanes, FULL OF FUEL, were only minutes away from certain disaster in the hands of a terrorist with some flight training. Of course, nothing happened,but it could have, By God!!

The City of Glendale told Channel 5 that the airport was fully compliant with all FAA regulations, but that didn't stop our intrepid friend from declaring this a great hazard to public safety. Channel 5 got a counterterrorism "expert" by the name of Bob Newman to watch their little video and declare that it was very bad also. They managed to leave out a couple of parts to the story, though.

They failed to point out that Luke Air Force Base is five miles to the west of Glendale Municipal. Luke AFB is the largest F-16 training facility in the world. There are always F-16s out and about. The UCAP gang have discussed some of the F-16 jockeys' extracurricular activities in the local MOAs relatively recently, you may recall. I do not know, but I would be interested to know, if Luke had any F-16s on alert in the event someone busted the TFR around University of Phoenix Stadium during the game, given that it would take approximately 25 seconds to get to the stadium from wheels up if they tried. I'll still be left guessing, though, because Channel 5 didn't ask; it didn't fit the narrative, I guess.

They also failed to point out that the TFR around the stadium encompassed Glendale Municipal itself. It completely covered the eastern half of Glendale's Class D, and at least half of the western side as well. I do not know, but I would be interested to know, if the TFR effectively closed Glendale Municipal during the game. If so, then any movement along the ground would have sent off immediate alarm bells because there would be no clearance to taxi, let alone take off. Again, I would have been interested to know that, if only Channel 5 had asked. I guess that didn't fit the scare story, either.

Finally, I was left wondering the same thing that Dave and Jeb would probably wonder as well: where was the story on the security of the U-Haul and Ryder rental stores within two miles of the stadium?

Dave Higdon

Re: GA is scary. Channel 5 told me so.

Postby Dave Higdon » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:22 pm

Man...I'm terrified...of TV reporters :o :o :lol:

Stupid, sensationalist reporters are like owners of "unloaded" guns...they frequently do damage they never dreamed possible..."Duh, I didn't know it was loaded..."

-- Dave

stonemanvideo

Postby stonemanvideo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:36 pm

I just watched the report. I'm speechless.
http://www.kpho.com/news/18548330/detail.html

after you watch the story, go to the bottom of the page and read all of the viewer comments.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:45 am

At least people are keeping them honest.

Return to “Listener Mail”