Other Hangar Flying Podcasts

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
jimg

Other Hangar Flying Podcasts

Postby jimg » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:26 am

Hi, UCAP gang,

It might be interesting to hear what your second, third, and fourth most favorite G.A. podcasts are, after UCAP of course. Not only have the "boys" mentioned other podcasts from time to time, they have appeared in some of them, notably during Podapalooza, and also more recently when Dave appeared in the Pilot's Flight Podlog.

My favorite (after UCAP) is decidedly Airspeed. Steve Tupper has a knack for creative and compelling radio work as well as flair for story telling. He picks subjects and interviewees that you wouldn't normally think of and does an all around great job.

http://www.airspeedonline.blogspot.com/

I've been listening to Jason Miller's Finer Points for over a year now, and have learned a lot. It's not strictly speaking a hangar flying Podcast since it is primarily instructional, but he sometimes crosses the boundary into free-form commentary and does a great job all around.

http://www.thefinerpoints.net/

The Pilot's Flight Podlog by Will Kawkins is an emerging gem, a work in progress. He did a great series of casts as he recorded his own flight training, and now he is doing actual flying experience stories with other pilots. Contrasting with Airspeed, Will's style is more conversational than interview, and the conversations are informative.

http://pilotwill.libsyn.com/

There are many other good aviation Podcasts which are not "hangar flying" so belong in another genre, but I'll mention Aero-News Net and Avweb as two good outlets of news if you want to keep current on what's going in the aviation industry. There were two other good Podcasts by airline pilots (Flying Pilot Podcast and Fly With Me) but they don't seem to be actively working on those at the moment.

What are your favorites?

Jim G.

PilotBillFromTexas

Re: Other Hangar Flying Podcasts

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:27 am

Ditto to all of the above. I just started listening to Will. He's pretty good also as was the Pilotcast when they were around. I just listened to Hometown Tales mentioned in another post. That was fun.

As far as non-aviation podcasts go I also listen to TWIT, The Alaska Podshow, Tekzilla, Tips from the Top Floor, Happy Shooting (German), Creative Pastors Podcast, Cartalk, hak.5, lab rats and digital underground.

I pay $70+/ month for directv pretty much just for my wife and daughters. I watch CNBC and that's about it. I even get the weather off of the computer these days.

t0r0nad0

Postby t0r0nad0 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:13 pm

Once again, ditto the above podcasts, especially Will's podcast (though I'm a bit partial - see episode 3 or 4 where I am the guest and talk about an experience flying in the Pittsburgh area). In addition, I like the Pilotcast and by extension, the CFICast - both of which just released a couple of new episodes after a long absence, and rumor has it that they are going to start releasing more regularly again. Perspectives in Avation Safety is another pretty good podcast that I found recently.
-PJ

PP-ASEL as of 8/15/2007
AGI as of 6/30/2008
FAASTeam Representative

States in which I have been the sole manipulator of the controls on takeoff and/or landing:

tonycondon

Postby tonycondon » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:58 pm

Im also a big fan of the CFIcast, probably because im a member of the panel :) and of course this podcast, the finer points, airspeed, and Will's podcast.

t0r0nad0

Postby t0r0nad0 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:16 am

Tony, I was wondering how long it would be before I saw you on this forum as well... :)
-PJ

PP-ASEL as of 8/15/2007
AGI as of 6/30/2008
FAASTeam Representative

States in which I have been the sole manipulator of the controls on takeoff and/or landing:

Return to “Listener Mail”