How to use Cirrus FIKI

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
roleary

How to use Cirrus FIKI

Postby roleary » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:52 pm

Someone in the CPA forums posted this and I thought it was a good point. Was hoping to get the UCAP gang's take on it. Check out this video on the Cirrus site:
http://cirrusaircraft.com/perspective/fiki.aspx

Now, is this really what you would use that plane for? A night flight into a winter storm over mountainous terrain to shoot an approach into an airport at 7000' where the tower is closed and the missed is a hold in a canyon... with your youngest son... for a weekend of skiing? (By the way, IF this story is true, he did it with an experimental cert of airworthiness)

There have already been discussions about *some* pilots who purchase these brand new glass panel machines and get over-confident in their, and the machine's, abilities. Now add to that the manufacturer telling people "oh yeah, go fly in ice, no big deal". Recipe for disaster?

Btw... is the BRS approved for icing conditions?

Dave Higdon

Re: How to use Cirrus FIKI

Postby Dave Higdon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:01 pm

roleary -- I've put this on the list for our next effort, but it may not get into discussion until the one after...got some views to share and am sure Jeb will, too...

As for the BRS being icing approved...good question. Think I know the answer, but will withhold until the discussion (and after pinging a friend at BRS...).

Thanks! Great suggestion!

Dave

Return to “Listener Mail”