My new CFI Ticket

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
PilotGreg

My new CFI Ticket

Postby PilotGreg » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:10 pm

My palms were sweaty at 8:00am this Monday morning as I awaited on the DPE to arrive. CRAP he's here time to pull it together act confident and teach him something. As we sat down to go over the paperwork he assured me he wasn't the executioner which made my nerve factor come down about 1/2 percent. Paperwork done, CRAP time to go to work, He asked some questions and I answered couple of questions I was unsure of and elected to look up and show my Student/DPE were to find the correct answer. I taught him steep turns and the aerodynamics and other factors associated with the turns and I also taught him about airworthiness and everything associated with it. GOOD JOB!!!! LETS GO FLY. After 4 hours of oral examination witch went by like an F-16 with full afterburners I made it to the plane. We took a 30 min break just enough time to get a piece of pizza down, a few sips of Coke, and some thumbs up from the CFI's at the school. At this time my nerves were at 75%, I pre-flighted and briefed my Student/DPE about the flight and fired up the old Arrow. The engine roared to life, not as dramatic as a big radial or a Merlin, but good enough for me. Weather acquired "Ocala traffic N701RA taxiing to runway 36 Ocala traffic" as we taxi I point out how to taxi, runway signs and markings, and what the instruments should be doing as we taxied. We arrived at the approach end of 36 and proceeded with our run-up. We were ready to go, one last look on final "Ocala traffic N701RA taking off runway 36 Ocala traffic". Before taxiing onto the runway the DPE/Student ask for a shortfield takeoff I spit the airspeeds out and set flaps all the while explaining everything I did and why I was doing it. Airspeed alive rotate, climb Vx, as I clean the airplane up in the climb I realize that my nerves have diminished to 25% and will be a CFI as soon as this flight is over if my piloting skills were with me today. I flew all the maneuvers required and asked of me and explained each one as we flew them, some were flawless (at least I thought so) and some were within PTS standards at witch time I critiqued myself out loud and explained what I could do to tighten up the maneuver. OK now take me back to the airport and lets do some landings. The landings were a blur as we rocketed around the pattern, on the last downwind leg the DPE/Student asks for the controls and has me teach him the short field landing. Base to final turn now he makes the call "N701RA will be full stop" this is it, the rides over did I make it. As we taxi in he reflects on the flight and gives me a few pointers I taxi the plane into the parking spot and shut down the aircraft. Good Flight lets go take care of the paperwork for your NEW License. WooooooHoooooo I DID IT!!!!!

It all feels like a dream still. I could not have done it without the support of my friends and family cheering me on. My wife put up with a lot of "I'll be in the office studying" days and nights. My employer was kind enough to give me the time off and will hopefully become my first student as I have talked him into flight training. Thanks to all the aviation podcasters who keep me excited about flying. Also a big thank's to my CFI Ron T. and all the other CFI's at Ocala Aviation who acted as students to help me obtain this License.

As of 11/2/2009 I am a FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR :D

Thanks for reading

CFI Greg

tdukerich

Re: My new CFI Ticket

Postby tdukerich » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:22 pm

Great job! Good luck with all of your future students.

Tom
Tom Dukerich
ASW-20C OD2
Cessna 170B

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:42 am

Awesome!! Congratulations!!

PropFan

Postby PropFan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:26 am

Way to go! By the way, did you fly from the right seat?

champguy

Postby champguy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:17 pm

Without instructors, none of us could learn and keep profecient.
Thanks
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

FranSan

Postby FranSan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Congratulations!!

PilotGreg

Postby PilotGreg » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks everyone for the congratulations. This was by far the hardest license I earned so far, not only do you perform each maneuver that is ask you have to talk/teach it. The whole check ride is done from the right seat which after a few hours of training becomes normal.(quite a different sight picture at first) For my private ride the DPE told me to do a maneuver but for this ride the DPE told me what maneuvers he wanted to see before we went flying and let me come up with my own lesson plan.

Comanche Sue

Postby Comanche Sue » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:34 pm

That was a great story to read and I am so happy for you. Great job and congratulations. Sue

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:45 pm

PilotGreg: WAYTOGO!! May you initiate many, many, many to our ranks!

So, you taking on students? Folks...there's a new guy out there...now's a chance at a newly minted who still remembers his roots... :lol:

Dave

Aerco

Postby Aerco » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:28 pm

4 hour oral exam?? Woah! And this wasn't even an FAA person, but a DPE? I will go the same DPE I did my private checkride with - 45 minutes flying, 45 minutes ground - done. You certainly earned that one.

I'm a long way from it, but just passed the written. My plan is to do some basic instructing under the Sport Pilot CFI rules to build up hours and earn enough for the Commercial and Instrument and then do the regular CFI. No jokes about SP instructors please, I hear enough of them already.
Anyone got a nice LSA compliant 85hp Champ for sale?

Return to “Other Topics”