FAA online Wings program

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
randydu

FAA online Wings program

Postby randydu » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:30 pm

Amy advocated looking into the new online Wings program a few eps back and since my BFR is about up, I thought I would take a crack at it. I tried taking the first online course and got through to the test, but got some sort of unrecoverable error when I clicked done. I tried again with a different browser and got the same result. After that I tried, with my CFI looking over my shoulder, to enter the dual flight time. Got the SAME error. Tried two different browsers again and still got the error. Anyone had a good experience with this site yet?

Cheers,
Randy
Cheers,
Randy
Skyhawk N62218 (AKA Methuselah) @ KSGS

AmyL

Re: FAA online Wings program

Postby AmyL » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:33 pm

I've been able to use the system both to do coursework and also to sign off student's flight time, as well as have my own flight time signed off by my own instructor.

I've used Safari 3, as well as Internet Explorer 7 on the Mac and the PC (Windows XP equipped) respectively. I've sometimes had problems in the past with using the FAA Safety sites from the Mac, but not recently. What are you using?

CAS

Postby CAS » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:36 pm

I was in attendance at an AOPA Air Safety Foundation seminar several months ago and one of the speakers mentioned that the Wings program is ending this year, to be replaced by another pilot proficiency program.

From wikipedia: "The current Wings program will end on December 31, 2007 [1] and will be replaced by a new program from the new FAA safety website [2], which is now active and able to be used." Apparently, "FSDOs will continue to accept phases completed by this date until January 31, 2008."

[1] http://www.faa.gov/safety/awards/wings/
[2] http://www.faasafety.gov/

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:41 am

CAS wrote:... one of the speakers mentioned that the Wings program is ending this year, to be replaced by another pilot proficiency program.

That's a real shame if they mess it up. I did the Wings program for a couple of years. Every time I did it I had to school-in the CFI on how the program works. They also had to dig through the regs to find out what the right phrases were to put into my logbook. I think that it is a great way of getting pilots who don't get to fly enough throughout the year into the air with an instructor. Under the Wings program you just go to a safety seminar then spend three hours in the airplane with an instructor on specific tasks and it's all positive pro-active stuff in my opinion. With a BFR it is more of a memory test on the ground followed by a flight test. BFR's are useful and necessary but not necessarily a pro-active learning tool, again IMHO.

As silly as it sounds, you really get a sense of self-pride when those real pilot's wings show up in the mail. It wasn't just something that you ordered from Sporty's, you earned them. I hope that they continue that.

randydu

Postby randydu » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:36 am

Ok, I tried again over the holidays and the FAA site behaved much better. It must have been having a bad day when I tried it earlier.

Cheers,
Randy
Cheers,
Randy

jimg

Postby jimg » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:12 am

Hi all,

I attended an FAA pilot seminar on the new Wings software, program, and web site.
They did a very nice demo of the entire system and process here in my local
FSDO (PHL) office. The problem was, at least at the time that they were rolling this out,
a lack of content in certain areas. I think it was some of the required element areas
where there was only one course or two courses to choose from, whereas in the elective areas there
were several choices. They said that third parties like the AOPA ASF would develop
course content eventually, but that it would take a while. (Haven't been back into
it as I put time into non-flying activities during the winter.)

My biggest complaint about the new program, and admittedly this is a very
trivial complaint... there's no jewelry involved! I liked getting the Wings pins, and
I like having them (along with the certificates) as a little momento of having made
the effort. Now all you get is an email message to yourself confirming your status
in the program. If it's a "Wings" program, then there ought to be Wings!

Jim G.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:42 am

jimg wrote: If it's a "Wings" program, then there ought to be Wings!

From your fingertips to God's eyes. I agree.

LimaBravo

Postby LimaBravo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:14 am

I'm in with Jim and Bill, I was shocked to see no WINGS?? Color me crazy, but it was cool to be able to get them.....

randydu

Postby randydu » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:03 am

I thought the actual pin from the old program had been sponsored by AOPA ,or more specifically, ASF. Just looking at the education pieces on the FAA Wings site right now, it seems like there is not much AOPA involvement in the new program. They were obviously deeply involved in the old program--does anyone know if there is some sort of issue with the new program inside AOPA?
Cheers,
Randy

Paulie_P

Postby Paulie_P » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Just to update this thread. The FAA is always updating the WINGS program. http://faasafety.gov It will not disappear. If you have technical problems, e-mail the help staff. They are very responsive. Also, they do have actual wings. You can get Bronze, Silver, and Gold.
Paul Pilipshen - Aviator
You can use my full name. I try not to write anything I wouldn't stand behind.

Return to “Other Topics”