Decision time

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
jimg

Decision time

Postby jimg » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:11 pm

As I write this, it's my last day as a licensed private pilot. It's Feb 28. Tomorrow, March 1, it will be more than 24 FAA calendar months since my most recent flight physical. So I've been wondering what now...

One option is to try to pass a flight physical exam again. This option conjures up images of treadmills, jogging miles, lettuce salads, sweat, toil, and then the inevitable nervousness of "Will I pass this time around?"

For those of you who have no trouble passing your flight physical exams, I can point you to an AME who will show you just how difficult doing so can be.

The other option is to give up the silly habit of flying. But that's a lot of work also. I'd have to sell two airplanes (no, not LSAs) and a hangar and discontinue a bunch of subscriptions and memberships. And find a new home for a few shelves of aviation books.

Since one's health is of concern regardless of aviation activity, I think I'll follow the low-cal diet and sweaty exercise route for a while, and if it gets me through a flight physical exam, so be it. If not, I'll deal with it then.

But the reason I posted this is not to answer my own question but rather to prompt our thinking: when do we stop flying? how do we leave aviation? None of us lives forever and no one flies forever. Time to start thinking about it.

Jim G

champguy

Re: Decision time

Postby champguy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:42 pm

Buy and keep an old Champ, LSA legal, and start enjoying aviation as an affordable and rewarding passtime.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PropFan

Postby PropFan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:34 am

Jim, I commend you for approaching this in a thoughtful and responsible way. Good luck with the diet and exercise. Heaven knows I need to do the same.

FWIW, Richard Collins, in his latest book, "The Next Hour" explains why he decided to quit flying as PIC. I haven't read the book yet but have it on order, and I'm interested in his rationale.

Until I hear a convincing rationale to the contrary, my position is that if you are competent to drive you are competent to fly -- and 3rd Class medical exams should go the way of the Dodo.

jimg

Postby jimg » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:51 pm

Champguy: I think if I went that route (or should I say "when..."), I would more likely become a LSA renter-pilot and not carry the overhead of ownership.

PropFan: Agreed.

Jim G

champguy

Postby champguy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:44 pm

Good Luck whatever you do, Jim. Just beware the failed Third Class gotcha. If you take the Medical, but don't pass, then you can't fly Sport Pilot.
Renting a LSA would let you fly some modern and really neat planes.
Going the Legacy LSA route is half about flying, and half about maintaining an old plane and hanging around the airport with the other guys keeping old planes going.
More of a retirement/hobby thing. Should be back in the air in a month for another sunny day.

https://picasaweb.google.com/rhawleyhol ... rSunnyDay#

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:45 pm

Jim,

You're predicament has been on my mind since I first saw your original post.

My thought is similar to that expressed by others here:

If you decide not to take on the challenges of a difficult medical (completely understandable), but you have a good faith belief that you are healthy enough to fly safely, then I agree with those urging you to become a Sport Pilot. There are lots of fun, interesting, and useful planes out there. They can't carry the load of your 182, and may not be as fast, but they'll get you there. And it's still FLYING.

Good luck.

// Jack

turbo

Postby turbo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:31 pm

jim, what is more important than your health? not much. here is a little advice on how to help your health. it works for me. just checked my BP and it was under 120/80.

1, stop the fried food.
2, stop the soda
3, eat a salad a day
4, try and combine each meal with a balance of 'meat', 'potato', and 'vegetable'. what does that mean = protein, starch, complex carbohydrate. a good example is a delicious sandwich.
5, go out and walk!!!!!!!!!!
6, get your medical and go flying till you get old, then stop flying. my 2 cents and my plan!!!!!!!
summers s. windsor, ct/ winters stuart, fl RV-6/ R-44 / Gyroplane "The government is a body of people notably ungoverned." Image

champguy

Postby champguy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:12 pm

All of that Turbo says,
And avoiding "Type A" activities, like
Working hard enough to afford all the "Cool Stuff", and
Going fast
Arriving on time
Making people happy, and
Fighting City Hall

When people laugh at you, just smile like you know something.

turbo

Postby turbo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:14 pm

to all in need of help, get the book 'SUGAR BLUES' you will never look at a can of soda pop the same!!!!!!!!!!!!
summers s. windsor, ct/ winters stuart, fl RV-6/ R-44 / Gyroplane "The government is a body of people notably ungoverned." Image

DJTorrente

Postby DJTorrente » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:33 pm

champguy wrote:All of that Turbo says,
And avoiding "Type A" activities, like
Working hard enough to afford all the "Cool Stuff", and

Cool stuff like flying?

champguy wrote:Going fast

I don't do anything as fast on the ground as I cruise in a simple 172.

champguy wrote:Fighting City Hall

You mean the town that owns the airport that served the flying club with eviction papers?

champguy wrote:When people laugh at you, just smile like you know something.
:cry:

-DJT
"Good Rock... Welcome to Oshkosh"
AirVenture 2019: July 22-28 http://www.airventure.org

Like they say in baseball, there's always next year.

-DJTorrente

Return to “Other Topics”