Decision time

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
ATC_Ben

Re: Decision time

Postby ATC_Ben » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:19 pm

No sodas... but how do you ATC without soda??
I've often wondered about a sponsorship deal, we'd hang a sign out front:

Melbourne Air Traffic Control is brought to you by Vittoria Coffee and Coca Cola! :D
Caelus latus sursum

PropFan

Postby PropFan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:39 pm

What...no Vegemite?! :D

champguy

Postby champguy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm

Younguns run on caffein and sugar.
As we get wiser we learn to include the four basic food groups.
With Irish Coffee and a Danish, we get alcohol, caffein, sugar, and greese.
Yumm.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

ATC_Ben

Postby ATC_Ben » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:14 am

PropFan,
Vegemite on alternate days! :D BTW The secret for the non- Aussies, is to apply it like margarine/butter (thin) not like peanut butter (thick)... if you plaster it on don't complain about the taste, it's powerful stuff! Oh it's also made from yeast left over from brewing beer... so it's beer related!

champguy,
I'd like that... however the regulator may disagree with combining alcohol and ATC! However deep fried food also abounds at the cafeteria, so that's covered! They also serve a good cooked breakfast or a bacon, egg and cheese roll that covers the greese fix for the day!
Caelus latus sursum

jimg

Postby jimg » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi, all,

Here's a post SnF update. So I decided to work on the weight issue (and all that goes with it) for purely non-aviation reasons. Like living longer. Well, I'm sure aviation was in the back of my mind, but that was not the principal reason. My thinking went something like this: Need to lose weight, get the BP down (for many, the two are linked). If it also coincidentally leads to a medical certificate, so much the better. But I don't want aviation to be the primary reason for taking care of health because the flip side of that is once we're done flying, we fall apart.

Since March 1, I've being following the low carb, no sugar regimen, a la Atkins or modified South Beach. Weight's been coming off; BP is down. A few more pounds to go, but at least I can see some progress.

The reason that Dave Higdon http://uncontrolledairspace.com/phpbb/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=55 says that flying makes your life longer is not that hours flying are not subtracted. It is because we're forced to be medically examined every two years!

Shout out to Jim P from Texas who I met at SnF Radio watching a live UCAP broadcast. He too is doing the lose weight and get fit for flying routine.

One more note. Since I'm not currently flying, I drove from Pennsylvania to SnF and back. Believe it or not, I really enjoyed the nice long drive. Got to visit some friends in Florida, and explored some George coastal islands and the Outer Banks. Visited Kitty Hawk (Kill Devil Hills) to see the Wright Memorial. I forgot that driving can almost be as enjoyable as flying. And one unexpected benefit: during the tornado that swept across Lakeland Linder airport, my airplane was safely in its hangar a thousand miles away.

Jim G

champguy

Postby champguy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Blood pressure, stress, and weight are all related to trying to buy a glass panel for a plane that goes too fast, or trying to please people who are only into you for what they can get.

If you accept your limitations, that you personally cannot get Congress to make sense, or fix about anything or anyone else out there, you are on your way.

Being able to get a 3rd class medical, or pass a urine test after a misshap, are just side benefits.

Remember, a gallon of gas still costs less than a nice jucy burger, just as it did a half a century ago in the "good ol' days".

There has never been a better time in our lives to enjoy the simple pleasures of grabbing your "visa" card and going out to see the country from the air.

Enjoy
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

ATC_Ben

Postby ATC_Ben » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Hear hear Champguy!

And a mile of highway can take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere!
Caelus latus sursum

Return to “Other Topics”